Filter leak

Jun 11, 2010
Hi there,

I have a cartridge pool filter that has small leaks around the in and out fittings (bulkheads). Over the years the slab the filter sits on has sunk down a few inches so it no longer sits flat on the slab. One side of the filter rests on a rock wall also so it doesn't completely lie flat on the slab. I believe this is what has contributed to movement of the filter housing and possible leak. I attached some pics. Currently I have some rocks placed under the filter temporarily to try and have it on an even surface.

Any ideas on how to:
(1) fix the leak? I was going to try teflon tape on the threads to see if that did the trick
(2) Provide a flat surface for the filter to sit on... I was contemplating using the hardening foam you can get in a can, spraying it up underneath the filter or possibly using a plastic bag as a mold for it so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the filter.

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 65
Welcome to TFP!!

Leveling the filter was a GREAT idea!! :goodjob:

Can you post a close-up of the bulkheads? It may be as simple as an o- ring stretched too much from the filter being out of level :) -- or... it could be cracks in the filter body itself :cry: The filter looks 'older' do you know how old it is?

I'm pretty sure I can get you through this season, even if the filter is cracked :-D

Thanks, Here's a close up of the bulkhead, red arrow points to the leak. Not sure how old the filter is, I've been here a little over a year and the house is about 9 years old, so I assume the filter is pretty close to that.

Attachments

• bulkhead.jpg
    bulkhead.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 39
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.