All three pool lights went out at same time?

txk8

Aug 19, 2011
As we were swimming all three pool lights turned off simultaniously. No fuse seems to be flipped, inside controls as well as board say the lights are on. We did replace one bulb three months ago. Any ideas?

BTW: 23,000 gallon, in ground pool, gunite, "regular lights" - not LEDs. And if you couldn't tell by my technical jargan, I'm a homeowner and first time pool owner (4years), who takes care of own pool and I must say- I feel a great sense of satisfaction by doing so!

There should be a GFCI breaker. You could try turning that off and then back on. However, you should find out what caused the breaker to trip.

You could disconnect each light at its junction box to see if one of the lights is causing the fault.

If you're not comfortable working with electricity, then you might want to get an electrician.

If you've tried resetting all the circuit breakers, the next step is to look for an open circuit. Meaning a bad switch or a loose connection. It's extremely unlikely that all three bulbs would burn out at the same instant. Pulling the faceplate and the switch is probably the simplest thing, so check it first. Ideally you have an AC voltmeter. There are other ways, but I have no idea what your level of competence is, so I don't want to get you zapped, so that's as far as I'll elaborate.

You may have an older setup (like mine) where the lights are wired to a GFCI outlet and the outlet goes to a regular breaker. Make sure any GFCI outlets on the circuit are working and have not tripped. If it has, just push the reset button.

Check The Ground wires for the Lighting circuit, It happened to my pool lights! turned the lights on as usual, and nothing!, I started at the switch checking connections,wires, re-tightening all connections finally the last thing I did was Open the J-box that has all the grounds in it, and low and behold the lighting ground came loose! Re-terminated the ground wire for the lighting circuit and problem was solved!! I know it sounds far fetched but if all else fails check the ground!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.