Re-piping Hayward Booster Pump, PVC broke

Aug 9, 2011
Gonzales, LA
Hi,

I had sprung a leak on the piping going into the top of my Hayward 5060 booster pump. I got some PVC, and the necessary joints I thought I needed, but when I tried to unscrew the fitting from the booster pump, it seems they put glue on the threads when they screwed it into the top. The PVC wound up breaking and is still in the orifice. Is it normal to glue the threads going into the pump? If you ever get a leak at this joint, how would you go about redoing it?

Now I have to figure out what my options are:
  • Is there a way to get the PVC out of the orifice and get the glue out of the threads? [/*:m:336vhv0b]
  • The pump is about 6 years old, maybe I should just go ahead and replace the whole pump? ($230)[/*:m:336vhv0b]
  • I could probably get a new volute, part number 6 on the following parts diagram: http://i.imgur.com/GR5sv.jpg, but then I have to worry about taking apart the pump, replace the part and properly re-seal it, which doesn't seem too difficult.($40)[/*:m:336vhv0b]

I am new to to pools and the accompanying equipment, but I'm learning quick. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Do I buy a new pump for $230 or a part for a 6 year old pump for $40, or can I salvage what I have now?

I've included some pictures of the equipment and what I have now that the PVC piece broke: http://imgur.com/a/T9aWE#PUvzy

Thanks! :-D

It's not common to glue in the fitting. Although, I have a few times. If you use a hacksaw blade to cut through the plastic vertically in 2, 3 or 4 places, then you should be able to pry out the pieces. Don't cut into the pump threads.

It is CERTAINLY not normal to glue the joint at that point. Many good installations use a union or half-union so the pump is easily disconnected if need be.

Pipe dope or teflon is certainly acceptable, too.

I'm going to try to get the PVC and the glue out of the threads of the orifice. Any advice on a solvent or something to get the glue out of the threads?

scooperhsd said:
Assuming you have problems cutting out the old pieces -
my question on new pump / parts -was the pump running fine ? If yes - then i would do the $40 part - and this time use teflon tape and not glue it in !

The pump is running fine, but it is 6 years old. I'd hate to spend $40 on a part then have it go out on me shortly after. How long do they typically last?

well - I just replaced a Hayward Superpump this summer after something like 8 -9 years of use - I rusted out on me due to my poor maintenace habits (I let years of leaves build up until a mat was holding the pump in place and the mat was touching the bottom of the motor). At only 6 years - you should have at least a couple more years, and maybe longer.

I also have a 28 year old Hayward PowerFlo II that originally came with the house, used for a spa pump (think - low hours). When my Superpump went out - I put that in and it did yeoman's duty until I got a replacement - but that PFII had also spent 13 years or so in out of the weather storage. $40 for a new part is still cheaper than $230 for a whole new pump if it is still otherwise serviceable even if it is only for a couple years. But it's your money - if you would feel better with a replacement pump - go ahead.

cooterbrown said:
I'm going to try to get the PVC and the glue out of the threads of the orifice. Any advice on a solvent or something to get the glue out of the threads?
If you can pry the parts out, then the threads should be pretty clean. You could use a pick of some kind to clean the threads or you could get a 3/4-inch pipe tap. The pipe tap is probably more expensive than it's worth. You could try using a 3/4-inch galvanized metal nipple to clean out the threads but don't overstress the pump threads.

Note: I don't recommend gluing in threaded fittings for most applications. There is a very limited set situations that I think that it can be useful, but mostly it shouldn't be done.

Just so you guys know, since I know you are all on the edge of your seats, I was able to cut the PVC in a couple of places, then get a little spike and wedge it away from the sides then get some pliers and pull it out. Just like JamesW said, the threads were pretty clean and was able to use the PVC piece and some teflon tape and get a good seal.

Thanks for all the advice guys!! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.