new pool test kit

Aug 13, 2011
I just got my pool test kit. I have been having a lot of trouble with calcium. Here are my test results.
FC 5
CC .5
TC 5.5
pH 7.5
T/A 220
CH 800
CYA 140
I had the pool emptied 2 years ago and acid washed. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. It is 23600 gallons, DE filter, Plaster pool.

Welcome to TFP!

With TA and CH both high I would expect you to have some calcium scaling, especially if the PH ever gets above where it is now. It is relatively difficult to lower CH, but you can lower TA fairly easily, see the article in Pool School on lowering your TA level.

CYA at 140 is very high. You would do well to lower that as soon as possible.

Where are you located? In some areas you can get a reverse osmosis treatment, which will lower everything (TA, CH, CYA). Otherwise you are looking at water replacement to get either CH or CYA down.

It would be good to know your fill water TA and CH levels. If they are both high you are going to continue having issues with high TA and CH levels.

Thanks for responding. I live in Arizona. My fill water TA is 110 and my fill water CYA is 0.
Is it okay to empty the pool in the summer? Due to drying, plaster cracking and that sort of thing?
Also I can't make the pool calculator work. I fill in all my values and press calculate, it always says none at the top. Is that what it is supposed to do? I am not getting any information.

The "none" at the top is where it provides more details on whatever you mouse over. Look on the right for each row about a reading, and it'll show what you need to do.

For the water replacement, drain a quarter to a third of the water, refill, repeat as needed. This avoids any issues with the level getting too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.