Another heater question(s)--millivolt or electronic

RJS3

Apr 28, 2008
Upstate NY
I have an in-ground 22,000 gal. pool and I've been nursing an old Tropic Isle 200,000 millivolt heater for the past 4 years or so. It has done the job when it has worked, but this summer, I couldn't get it to work (valve, millivolt, etc. who knows). The exchanger is still in intact (no leaks), it is about 15 years old and I can't expect much else from it. I think it is time to replace it. I am fairly handy and can dink around with these things.

My question is what to replace it with? I want to replace it with another natural gas heater. But should I go with another millivolt (Pentair, Hayward, Raypak all have these--I am leaning toward the Pentair) or should I go with the electronic version like a Pentair Mastertemp or similar type heater.

I can get electric to the heater if need be, but my thinking is that to replace with another millivolt means 1) no need to tap into an electrical line and 2) that it will probably be easier to troubleshoot and fix down the road. I look at the electronic stuff and think that there might be more trouble, more things that can go wrong.

Any thoughts on this?

Granted, these millivolt heaters are a bit old school. But I have seen a lot of debate on this forum about the cupro-nickle exchangers and I don't live in particularly windy conditions that would require a fan. Again, I'm not looking to have the latest bells and whistles and if I wanted energy efficiency I would go with a heat pump. So what am I missing here about these millivolt heaters? The mechanics seem easy and cheap to swap out and I don't have to worry about an electronic computer board getting fried or giving errors anytime the moon is full (OK, I'm kidding; but you know what I mean).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.