Super Shock?

G

I am getting ready to shock my pool. The pool came with a house that we just purchased, and all I know is the following:

1. There are no leaks
2. Pump and equipment are in good working condidtion
3. The pool has been covered with a mesh safety cover but it was not "closed" correctly (equipment plugs weren't removed, lines not blown out, water level not lowered, no gizmos or plugs in skimmers/returns, etc.)
4. I do not know how long the pool has been in this state i.e. when it was last used
5. The water is a little high (near the top of the skimmers)
6. There does not appear to be much debris in the water but it is a murky green

I have the recommended Taylor kit on order and it should come today. My goal is to have the pool swimmable by September 10, but I will be in California for four days the last week in August :-( Is it possible to "super-shock" the pool by using a lot more than the recommended liquid chlorine to bring the FC to shock level based on my initial testing? Would this not clean up the pool faster? What if you were to use twice the recommended level? I imagine that there is a downside to that but I am new to this :)

I do realize that everything depends on getting that Taylor kit into action :)

Excess shock can cause damage to your liner. And it won't make the level last much longer anyway.

Shocking isn't a one time event. You have to stay on it and continually add chlorine as needed to maintain your shock level. That will probably be hourly at first. These three articles will be useful to you.

Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Shocking Your Pool

Step one will be to get circulation going.

I have been at this over a month with my own pool. I wish someone would have put a cover over it.

My thought is the sooner you start, the sooner you finish. 4 days unattended isgoing to set you back, but probably not to where you are at now. Best case would be to find someone that can add chems while you are gone. If you get everything close at the start, the chems I refer to are going to most likely just be bleach. After a week or so, you begin to learn the "feeding" habits of your pool (at least I did). I still test, but am to the point I can pretty much "know" what the clorine need will be from day to day.

Another option, if you can handle the added CYA, might be to get some slow dissolving TRI-CHLOR and use them with the pump on recirculate.

Either option should keep the chlorine level up, which will at least keep you from losing ground and be at least as effective and less risky than "super-chlorinating".

Much luck to you.

I would get started now, and ask someone to add a few jugs of bleach each evening while your gone (the exact amount can be determined by you). You can make a lot of progress this week - before you have to leave, especially if you hit it hard :)

I would start now as well. If you can find someone to add bleach to the pool daily you can make progress while you are away. Hit it hard cannot be expressed enough. The better job you do and maintaining your chlorine levels at or just above the recommended shock level the faster you will get through this process.

Well, unfortunately I found out that I will not have access to the pool until Friday, September 2nd. I will, however, be able to get a water sample for testing so I can post the results here and get prepared to begin shocking first thing Friday morning. I know that I need to run the pump for a bit before I take the sample - do I just turn the filter to "circulate" and turn on the pump? How long do I need to let it run for? Can I put some of the pool water in a container and test it off-site?

Thanks for the help :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi wkener2...I am in Dawsonville Ga. Not be negative because I love , love , love having a pool....but by end of September we pretty much have to be closing the pool. Leaves start coming down, water is getting pretty cold. Will you be able to use it this year more than a few weeks? Is it in the sun? I would prabobly go thru the process for a few weeks of swim time but you might want to consider how long to closing time her...Good luck with it!

CindyG1 -

Yes, the pool is in the sun. The previous owner did not close the pool properly, so that is the main reason that I am going to shock it. Once I get it to where it should be then I will decide whether or not to close it and when :) Interestingly, I have found that many pool owners in ATL Metro never "close" their pools. Even though they are not swimming over the winter, they say that the pump run time and chemical use is so low that thay don't see that its worth the trouble to "close"?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.