1st Bid - wow

Jul 26, 2011
So, I got my first bid (in Salt Lake City, UT) and was expecting it to be around $50k - you guys are the experts, seem right?

It came in right at $68k with the following:

Gunite Swimming Pool - 20x40 Rectangle 3.5 to 9 in depth
1 1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump
520 sq ft Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
400k BTU Pentair Mastertemp Heater
In-Line Erosion Chlorinator
Time Clock
6" Perimeter Tile (Owner will choose color, $7/sq ft allowance)
Swim out bench or recessed steps
two 500 watt swimming pool lights
one surface skimmer, two main drains (anti-entrapment)
18" colored concrete coping edge
coverstar automatic safety pool cover
8 ft. diving board
electrical, gas and water line hook-ups & equipment pad area
3 months of weekly maintenance "free"

I am not sure of the 9' and diving board, reduced the bid by <$5,800> to go to 5' deep end no pool

There is also a list of upgrades listed at the bottom.

Still surprised by the $68k, but could be my ignorance on pool costs. This does not include anytype of pad around the pool.

Here are some of the upgrades:

Concrete walk on automated cover lid - 2,600
"CAT" automated chlorine and acid feeder - 4,300
ozone purification system - 2,350
salt water purification system - 2,000
navigator automatic pool vacuum - 2,000
quick clean max in floor cleaning system - 6,230
LED light upgrade - 1,000
standard fiberglass slide - 2,400
6'x10' enlarged second step w/ umbrella anchor - 1,200
change the color of plaster to medium gray - 4,800
change the finish of the pool to pebble finish - 10,400
wild ride pool slide - 3,000
x-stream pool slide - 3,800
g-force pool slide - 5,400
turbo twist pool slide - 4,800
automated ph controlled salt system - 4,500
upgrade to intelliflo energy efficient pump - 1,200
to add 1 foot in length of pool - 700
to add 1 foot in width to pool 1,400

This could be standard pricing against retail price?

Bama Rambler said:
What's the liner? Pebbletec, plain plaster, etc?

With a 20' X 40' Pool with all the stuff you have listed it doesn't sound that out of line.

Don't be afraid to get a bunch of quotes.

plain plaster - I am having 3 other companies quote - started that process today

Couple of things, I'd do different. Just a few suggestions for your consideration.
I'd drop the In-Line Erosion Chlorinator, if you want to automate chlorination you might want to consider and SWG instead. Some SWG's can double as a timer.
Ask for a 2-speed pump, for energy savings, you won't need to run that thing at the full 1 1/2hp to filter your pool.
Consider a 2nd skimmer, unless you know the one is in a perfect spot (down wind where debris would collect naturally)
If its not already specified ask for 2" plumbing.

(this one is really subjective and a matter of personality)
Personally, I'd drop the diving board. I found I never use mine and am thinking of removing it. My deep end is about 8-9 feet. If I were to have one built now, I'm not so sure I'd go that deep again. Besides you said it can save you money by not being as deep.
If you still want to jump in to a deep end, go for a diving rock or something similar that will fit you outdoor decor. Really depends on how important it is for you to have a deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My kids and I love the diving board at my SILs pool. $68K seems a bit steep for plain plaster, but not sure about prices in Salt Lake or your property....unlevel, rock, etc. On a pool that large, you want at least 2 if not 3 surface skimmers and the quote should be a lot more detailed, with specific equipment to be used...eg 2" hard PVC pipe, 2 speed pump, does it include permit costs...etc

The quote is not outrageous, but with no decking included, I would think you could do better.

Here is the quote for Leisure Pools: (most likely go with Elegance 40)

The price for the 34 Rivera is 45,000.00
Rivera 40 is 51,500.00
Elegance 33 44,000
Elegance 40 50,000

The price includes
all sta rite equipment
1 hp pump
300 sq feet cartridge filter
330-400k btu heater
cover star automatic cover
easy touch control box w/ salt
2-3 pal led lights color changing
5' of concrete around pool
permits
dig and haul off dirt

to do a variable speed pump will add 350.00
a wireless remote installed is 900.00

Looks like a fiberglass pool is going in my backyard :) What am I missing with this quote?

Melt In The Sun said:
Did you end up getting more than one gunite quote? I think you can do better than both quotes you've posted so far.

Yes, both quotes were really close, actually the second quote was about 4% more expensive. Basically, $15k more than a similar size and shape fiberglass pool?

Many folks don't seem to post much about their pool prices after the fact, but here's ours if you want something to compare quotes with. Read our pool set up in the signature block to compare. Our entire set up (all of it) as it sits in the ground right now was roughly $31k. We installed it the first week of 2011. There are lots of variables that can affect the price. Here's some things we learned and did. We shopped online and bought things we could find cheaper ourselves. (VS pump, ET controller, dive & slide, deck jets, robot cleaner, solar heater, etc.--added the slide and solar after pool was done as DIY, but they are included in the $31k) Our PB was ok with that, we just laid it all out the way we wanted to do it up front before we signed anything. Our pool was made in Atlanta about 4 hours away via major interstates. We had sandy soil and a level lot to work with. No rocks, stumps, or ground water to deal with, just dig the hole & drop it in. We bought an end of year close out deal on the pool itself. I took a week off from work (had use lose time anyway and I'm the hands on type) and helped with the installation for an additional discount. (It was actually a lot fun for me.) If you are looking to save some $$ (which was important to us) there are lots of ways to save without really having to sacrifice all that much. Oh, be sure to check references. Go look at pools installed by whoever makes your short list and talk to the pool owners about their experience with the builder. Ditto for the pool manufacturer. Any reputable builder should be more than willing to provide references. Our builder has used us as a reference quite a few times this year and we're always happy to answer questions about our experience with him. Here's the link to our PB's web page that has pics of our pool if you want to see it better than the thumbnail avatar. http://www.nagypools.com/about.html Best of luck to you.

High local pool prices are what drove me to DIY. quotes on mine WITHOUT travertine decking were about 70 to 90k. They wanted 14 per sq ft for brushed concrete decking. I swear there must br some collusion among builders as each one that presented was just higher and higher.

I am pretty sure I am going with the fiberglass pool. My next step is to submit a plan to our HOA, not a big issue, but want approval before doing anything else. Over the next couple of months, I will work with a contractor buddy to build a bathroom/shower for the pool. Going to be a little different, because we are going to do this at basement level. Basically, I have a walkout from the basement, we are going to build at the bottom of the stairs directly under my ACs and where all the pool pumps/stuff will go. We will have to excavate and poor foundation for the room. Not sure on the size, but big enough for a crapper, shower, sink and a little storage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.