Anyone Using a Mesh Winter Cover?

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
I'm in need of a new winter cover, and was reminded by the DW that winter's just a few months away.. :shock: Where did the summer go?? Anyway, I've been looking at the micromesh winter covers that are supposed to allow water to drain through, but keep leaves and debris out. Anyone using one, and if so, what's been your experience with it?? How much junk does it allow to still get in the pool??

TIA,
Mike

I've been using a mesh cover since install. Most of the debris gets in under the edges, IMO, and pool on opening is dirty and usually green. My neighbors use a solid cover w/ water bags that hold the cover in place. Their pool is clean on opening. However, it IS NOT a safety cover.

ivyleager said:
I've been using a mesh cover since install. Most of the debris gets in under the edges, IMO, and pool on opening is dirty and usually green. My neighbors use a solid cover w/ water bags that hold the cover in place. Their pool is clean on opening. However, it IS NOT a safety cover.

Well dang...I might rethink a mesh one then. I'd much rather have to siphon water off the cover as have a green pool when I pulled the cover off in the spring.

BTW, I was over in your neck of the woods a few weeks back. A nice little ten hour jaunt from Nashville. Drove by the RBC center a couple of times going in to downtown Raleigh. Still a Caneiac???

I'm now in a climate where my pool is open year-round I don't need a cover, but when I lived in MA I had a Loop-Loc mesh safety cover on the pool.

I loved it. No weighting a sagging cover, no pump on the cover, no snow and ice buildup. Safe and secure, even looks good. Yes, the pool was mirky in the spring but, the small amount of debris that filtered through was vacuumed out, chemicals added, pump and filter on, and back to clean water in a day or two.

How wide was the mesh?? I'm looking at one that's supposedly a micromesh, and I wonder if it would do a better job of keeping the junk out of the pool. My pool's an above grounder with a gated deck entry, so I'm not real concerned about something falling in the pool (dog or kid) during the winter.

I'm in the same boat as Mike...have used a solid cover for a few years...but a few small holes and I pumped out a lot of pool water over the winter. A micro mesh sounds good....if it works.

MikeInTN said:
ivyleager said:

Well dang...I might rethink a mesh one then. I'd much rather have to siphon water off the cover as have a green pool when I pulled the cover off in the spring.

BTW, I was over in your neck of the woods a few weeks back. A nice little ten hour jaunt from Nashville. Drove by the RBC center a couple of times going in to downtown Raleigh. Still a Caneiac???

Yes I am! Thank for asking. Go to all the games; 13yr old knows the Canadian national anthem now.

I used a mesh cover for the first time last year. We have a lot of rain, snow and ice during the winter and I was really getting tired of trying to keep the water drained off, so I decided to give it a try. It was so much lighter than my old winter cover, so it made putting it on a whole lot easier.

It did seem to let more stuff into the pool and it was green when I opened this spring, but it's nothing a day or 2 of shocking couldn't clear up. For me it's all about convenience and not drudging out in 2 feet of snow in freezing temps to make sure the cover wasn't going to be weighed down with water and ice.

pepsiholic said:
I used a mesh cover for the first time last year. We have a lot of rain, snow and ice during the winter and I was really getting tired of trying to keep the water drained off, so I decided to give it a try. It was so much lighter than my old winter cover, so it made putting it on a whole lot easier.

It did seem to let more stuff into the pool and it was green when I opened this spring, but it's nothing a day or 2 of shocking couldn't clear up. For me it's all about convenience and not drudging out in 2 feet of snow in freezing temps to make sure the cover wasn't going to be weighed down with water and ice.

OK, I think I'm going to go with a micromesh and see how well it does. Worst case, I use it for a couple of years and go back to a solid cover, seeing how they usually only last a couple of years anyway.

Thanks for all that replied!

ivyleager said:
MikeInTN said:
ivyleager said:

Yes I am! Thank for asking. Go to all the games; 13yr old knows the Canadian national anthem now.

How are they looking this year?? Hmmmm...does the 13 yr old sing it in both English and French?? :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MikeInTN said:
ivyleager said:
MikeInTN said:

How are they looking this year?? Hmmmm...does the 13 yr old sing it in both English and French?? :wink:

We'll see how they look soon. It's be interesting to see how Jeff Skinner does this year. We all fell in love with him last year. I will miss my man Erik Cole, who bolted to Montreal. And yes he does know French. :wink:

Said 13 yr old does not know a lick of French. She does, however, know some Finnish. :p

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjsop7Ks

Good luck on your pool cover decision.

ivyleager said:
We'll see how they look soon. It's be interesting to see how Jeff Skinner does this year. We all fell in love with him last year. I will miss my man Erik Cole, who bolted to Montreal. And yes he does know French. :wink:

Said 13 yr old does not know a lick of French. She does, however, know some Finnish. :p

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjsop7Ks

Good luck on your pool cover decision.

Montreal, huh? This is the second time he's left Carolina, correct?

Of all the players we let go, I'll miss Steve Sullivan the most. Sully had a real passion for the game, and played like he was ten feet tall, not backing down from anyone.

Great pics! Said 13 year old is the spitting image of you. ehhh, French is overrated... :wink:

A couple things, this is for an AGP.

I thought these mesh covers are supposed to be used in conjunction with a solid cover. The solid cover keeps the light and fine debris out. The mesh cover keeps the leaves out. You remove the mesh cover and any leaves easily in the Spring, that way when you take the solid cover off there's no leaves and it's an easy job removing it.

Now in my pool I have never had one of those pool pillows or anything else. I drain it down to the lowest port, put in shock and algecide and cover it up. Simple as that. I've never worried about snow and ice on my pool and cover, ever. Last year we had over 100 inches of snow and I simply shoveled off around the rim.

In the spring I take the covers off, no problems (the mesh one with the leaves is best done by two people) and never any green water. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here but it works for me.

Reactions: LouinNY
Sulteric said:
A couple things, this is for an AGP.

I thought these mesh covers are supposed to be used in conjunction with a solid cover. The solid cover keeps the light and fine debris out. The mesh cover keeps the leaves out. You remove the mesh cover and any leaves easily in the Spring, that way when you take the solid cover off there's no leaves and it's an easy job removing it.

Now in my pool I have never had one of those pool pillows or anything else. I drain it down to the lowest port, put in shock and algecide and cover it up. Simple as that. I've never worried about snow and ice on my pool and cover, ever. Last year we had over 100 inches of snow and I simply shoveled off around the rim.

In the spring I take the covers off, no problems (the mesh one with the leaves is best done by two people) and never any green water. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here but it works for me.

They do make what's called a leaf net that's used in conjunction with a solid cover, but they also make a mesh cover that allows water to drain through to the pool below. The mesh is much finer than the mesh of a leaf net.

Here's a link to the one I just bought : http://www.amerimerc.com/above-ground-m ... esh-ag.htm

We'll see how well it works, I reckon.

All my friends that have in ground pools outdoors have tried the solid covers and are not talented enough to pump them off with out getting most of the leaf/nasty soup in the pool. My dad just bought a fine mesh safety cover... that allows the liquid thought.. but it doesnt get as nasty because the leaves dont sit in the watter.. infact most blow right off.

As far as green in the spring... around here the color depends on how quickly you open it. If you open and treat befor the weather gets warm its not too bad. the few times people have tried to save money and wait to open.. their pools had already turned green/brown and nasty.

My personal advice, I like the mesh cover, and opening / adding chems sooner rather than later.

Good Luck. let us know and take pics!

mcaron74 said:
All my friends that have in ground pools outdoors have tried the solid covers and are not talented enough to pump them off with out getting most of the leaf/nasty soup in the pool. My dad just bought a fine mesh safety cover... that allows the liquid thought.. but it doesnt get as nasty because the leaves dont sit in the watter.. infact most blow right off.

As far as green in the spring... around here the color depends on how quickly you open it. If you open and treat befor the weather gets warm its not too bad. the few times people have tried to save money and wait to open.. their pools had already turned green/brown and nasty.

My personal advice, I like the mesh cover, and opening / adding chems sooner rather than later.

OK, here's the first pic, after two days of off and on rain. Methinks I'm gonna like this cover..no standing water..:)

IMG_0995.jpg

hmmm, I've never removed snow or ice from my winter pool cover, and I am in PA. Should I be doing this?
Does it matter if the cover is weighted down? Doesn't it just sit on the water anyway?

MikeInTN said:
mcaron74 said:

OK, here's the first pic, after two days of off and on rain. Methinks I'm gonna like this cover..no standing water..:)

IMG_0995.jpg

Aren't you suppose to let those kind of covers lay on the water, and not pull it tight? I am confused but the picture appears to be pulled tight. Unless I am wrong the only above ground cover that is designed to be tight like a drum is this one http://www.arcticbluecovers.com/product ... /223/ci/70 I ask because I just forked over the extra money for The Eliminator for that reason. am I wrong?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.