Heat Pum vs. Solar Heating

Jun 24, 2007
Mesa, AZ
We're adding a heater to our pool and trying to decide whether to go with a heat pump or a solar heating system. We're in Arizona, so you'd think that solar heating would be the automatic choice, but I haven't heard anything good from any of the companies I requested estimates from. The company that put in our pool wouldn't even talk about solar units, and they've been in the business for 25 years. They also said they use just one heat pump unit and that was it, a "one size fits all" sort of response. Any advice from you learned souls would be much appreciated.

engteach43 said:
We're adding a heater to our pool and trying to decide whether to go with a heat pump or a solar heating system. We're in Arizona, so you'd think that solar heating would be the automatic choice, but I haven't heard anything good from any of the companies I requested estimates from. The company that put in our pool wouldn't even talk about solar units, and they've been in the business for 25 years. They also said they use just one heat pump unit and that was it, a "one size fits all" sort of response. Any advice from you learned souls would be much appreciated.

Hi engteach43,
You live in Arizona. Heating a pool is against the law here. If you get one you will use it for a month or two? LOL
Now that I got the funny stuff out of the way I would suggest solar as you know most of the time we do have plenty of sun. One critical issue is that your solar panels must face south to get the full potential of the winter sun. I feel the solar will cost you a lot less then a heat pump. I would talk with any neighbors or friends with heaters and ask them what they have and think is good.

By any chance did A&K Pools build your pool?
Your pool looks like mine. How do you like the Paramount in-floor cleaning?
I do think it is the best designed in-floor system around.
Iggy

Thanks Iggy. Cameo Pools in Mesa did ours. We have plenty of roof top facing south, so that's a plus. Do you have solar heat? We wish we would have just gone with a heating system when they put it in, but our salesman just sort of glossed over the issue without giving any info. We we're disappointed that we had to stop swimming before the end of September last fall. We just finished the pool in the beginning of July. I love the in-floor cleaning system. Saves a lot of work.

if the budget allows it, i would do both, it will save you $$$$ in the long run.

or when you have sun use the solar heater, but if you want to use the pool at night you run the heat pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.