Zodiac G4 pumping but sitting in same spot

Nov 21, 2010
I bought a Zodiac G4 today and the guy I got it from showed me it in his pool and it worked fine.. jumping back a half inch or so each time it pumped. I bring it home throw it in my pool and it is sitting there pumping and seems to be working fine but it is not moving anywhere, just sitting in same spot pumping itself. I've emptied out the pump basket and recently back flushed the filter and added DE. I don't know if you can change the pressure of your system and maybe mines not pumping hard enough? The gauge right above my DE filter tank reads about 18-20 once it's up and running a couple minutes. Any pointers?

I don't think my pump has different speeds it's just on/off as far as I know. Does the 20 psi on the DE filter mean anything regarding the suction?
And yes the pump basket I do see some air bubbles constantly flowing through.

If you're seeing air in the pump strainer you need to find out where it's getting in at.
If you only see it when the vac is hooked up then check the hose, and if you have a swivel cuff hose, make sure the swivel is at the vac end and not the skimmer end.
Clean and lube the pump basket lid and o-ring.
Check the pump strainer basket drain plug(s).

I bet finding the air leak will fix your vac problem.

Every filter is a little different, but when my DE filter is up to around 20 psi it is time to open the filter and clean the grids. The clean psi on mine is 10. Turn on the pump and put your hand in front of the return, if the return flow is weak that is another indicator it is time to clean the grids. Go ahead and lube the items Bama listed as well and let us know what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.