Brand New Spa newbie! Need help.

Aug 18, 2011
Blanchard, Oklahoma
I have had my spa for about a week and a half and it has a continous ozone pump. They told me to check ph once a week and add baking soda to raise it or ph decreaser (that they provided) to lower it. Throw one bromine tablet in the skimmer basket per month, and use something called spa magic that helps with foam and breaks down body oils etc. I have had problems with cloudy water, way to much foam. I have tried spa shock and defoamer with success on then foam, but can't seem to get the crystal clear water. They gave me the strips to test for ph, but I had trouble reading them so I went and bought a chlorine/ ph tester and have used that. My ph did get a little low on time and I added some baking soda and brought it up fairly quick. Once again I know absolutely nothing, but they tell me the ozone takes care of most and the 1 bromine tablet gives that a back up. What else do I need to be doing? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be great.

As you have found out, ozone alone does NOT keep a spa clean. Even with bromine, most users find they need to use chlorine about once a week or so to keep the water clear. Now that said, a new spa always has a lot of junk in it and the first fill will always be bad. This is why it is recommended on the first fill to use Spa System Flush to remove biofilms and clean out grease that may be left in the spa from manufacturing and wet testing. You then dump the water and you refill and should be good to go. I'll bet that if you do that, you'll be in much better shape. For a completely thorough cleaning, you can also superchlorinate (that procedure is described here, but I think if you use Spa System Flush and then drain/refill you'll be OK).

Even with ozone, you'll likely need more bromine than you have been using. You can read more about Using Bromine in a Spa or if you decide to switch to chlorine with the Dichlor-then-bleach method then you can read Using Chlorine in a Spa instead.

Please, disregard all advice you got from the spa store. It's obvious they know little of proper water chemistry/sanitation.

If you will follow the advice already posted on this site you will have crystal clear water that feels and smells great.

I use Chem Geeks dichlor/bleach method and sanitize my tub for less than $20 a year.

We will be happy to help you after you read up a bit to decide how you want to sanitize your tub and buy one of our recommended test kits. Without a good test kit we will not be able to help you.

A little late (sorry) but indeed: the pipes will have been dirty. So, clean the tub, change the water and start over. Also, you may want to check your cartridge filter. If I let them get too dirty they don't filter the water properly. Just hose them down and let dry, while you place another filter in the tub.
Hope you will be enjoying the tub!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.