Adding salt as a softener

htownjeeper

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Nassau Bay, TX
I know I've seen it somewhere on this site, but to be honest, I've done so much reading here I can't remember where I saw it. What is the panel's opinion of adding salt as a water softener? If someone knows off the top of their head what section that was in, I would appreciate you pointing me in that direction!

Does anyone here do it? Opinions?

I dont know where is is posted but before I went with a SWCG I kept the water in my pool and hot tub at 2000 ppm salt. I thought it made a difference in the water. You should start with a salt test kit as chlorine could already have you above a salt level of 2000 ppm. The only way to remove salt is drain/refill.

Adding salt adds a subjective water feel improvement. It doesn't soften it the way a water softener does (exchanging calcium and minerals for sodium ions). If you need to soften pool water you need to replace the water with softer water, such as rain water or tap water if its softer. Alternatively, you can have it treated with RO or truck water in.

Found it. It was just a brief mention under the "BBB" section. JasonLion mentions it briefly as a water softener even if you aren't using a SWG. Ok, I was just pondering it really. I can't complain too much about my water because it's perfect to me. I was just wondering if I was missing out on something.

Thanks.

A teardrop has a salt content of 9000ppm, Saline IV fluid has a salt content of 9000ppm. One difference I notice with my salt content is if you spend alot of time in the pool you dont come out with pruned skin. The has to do with osmosis. Water with a higher salt content will waterlog the skin less as it is closer to the salt content of the skin.

BBBliever said:
A teardrop has a salt content of 9000ppm, Saline IV fluid has a salt content of 9000ppm. One difference I notice with my salt content is if you spend alot of time in the pool you dont come out with pruned skin. The has to do with osmosis. Water with a higher salt content will waterlog the skin less as it is closer to the salt content of the skin.
What is your level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.