Best time to run your filters?

htownjeeper

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Nassau Bay, TX
I struck up a conversation with a guy somehow about pools and whatnot. It ended up with us on the subject of when the best time to run your filter/pumps. He swore (and very adamantly) that you're a fool if you run your filter/pumps in the day. He said the best time to do it was overnight. He said you will mess up your balance etc. if you did it during the day.

Is there any truth to this? If so, I'm the biggest idiot on the planet because I run mine from 10am-6pm. Should I adjust my timers for a different time/part of the day?

Thanks,
Brian

I wonder how this myth got started? there should be no impact to your water chem levels from running your pump in the daytime vs. at night. Most of the reason people run their systems at night is to save on electricity (rates in some areas are lower during non peak hours) or that the pool cleaner is interfering with the daytime swimming.

Otherwise, run the system when its best for you.

Forgot to add about checking your chem levels. You want to have your pump running about 1/2 hour to one hour before drawing your water sample for normal daily testing, so you might want to alter your timing so the system has been on a short time before you take your normal sample if you do it at the same time everyday.

It doesn't really matter when you run your pump. Some people run it during the night, and some during the day, and then there are those folks like me that run it some at night and some during the day! My balance must really stay messed up. :mrgreen:

Yeah, he's full of it. The only requirement is that you run it long enough.

Interesting, I've been told just the opposite, that your a fool if you run it at night. Heck, I've been told that you can't leave the water undisturbed for long. And you have to run the pool in several short runs to make up your daily total(2-4 runs of 3-6 hours each).

Like the mods said, it doesn't matter when you run it. Just matters you run it enough to keep your pool looking good.
The factors I'd consider are cost, convenience and comfort, pretty much in that order.

Cost
Do you have tiered electricity pricing? If so you should probably run it when its cheapest.

Convenience
When do you want to test the pool and add chemicals? Regardless of when you do, you'll want the pool to run for a time before you test (30mins or so) and awhile after you add chemical (30mins+)
When do you want to run your pool cleaner? Unless its a robot. You'll want to make sure your pump is running for the number of hours your cleaner needs to clean your pool.

Comfort - (This one is very subjective its almost comes down to personality)
Do you like the idea of the pump running while you ship or not?

Some folks don't like the idea of the pump running while they swim. Others are concerned with possible entrapment issue and don't want the pump running when their kids are in there.

Other still, prefer the jets running while they swim. Since the pump running during or just prior to swimming will blend the water eliminating thermoclines. Some feel the pump running while they swim ensures fresh chlorine is getting everywhere when they swim. This seems especially true of people with SWG's

All good points. It won't change my electric bill. I have a flat rate so no biggie there. I might change it a little bit for the fact that I like to test my pool around 6-7pm. I also like the jets running when I swim just for the effect. Think I'll move from 10-6 to Noon-8 or something like that.

Thanks everyone for the great info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.