Year-round Pool?

G

Question: I just bought a house in Atlanta, GA with an in-ground pool, and I have been debating whether or not to close it at the end of this season or leave it open year-round. This is my first pool so any and all comments/suggestions are very much appreciated!

I'm in Oklahoma and I leave mine open all year. Only had one mishap and that was due to power loss in freezing conditions. Be prepared for such as far as freeze plugs etc. I posted a checklist last year if you can find it. We like looking at the pool as opposed to a cover and the water hardly changes once it gets below 50F.

Donnie

found link: talk-about-stupid-t18331.html

Interesting replies :)

We don't take possession of the house until Labor Day weekend, but we had the pool inspected and the Pool Guy said that it looks good, no leaks... safety cover is on and water is a murky green. I have a test kit on order but I will not be able to begin shocking the pool until Friday, September 2nd. Is it realistic to think that I could have the pool in swimmable condition by the next Saturday? I know that this question is a little ridiculous considering that I have no idea what any of the levels are!

It's certainly possible but how probable it is all depends on what the test numbers say. Good news is that you're ahead of the game and you already know what you have to do.

Stock up on a lot of bleach.

If you could go by and run the pump and dump in a few jugs of bleach every couple of days, that might get your ahead of the game. Since you said the cover is on, there's probably not a lot of stuff in the bottom.

wkener2, I've been trying to figure this out too (I'm in the same area) seems some folks around here close their pool and some don't. I'm not sure if you where here last winter but we, along with the rest of the south, got hit with a pretty bad cold snap that lasted days.

Being cheap and lazy, I don't really want to go to the trouble of closing the pool, since it doesn't usually get cold enough long enough to freeze. But, I'd hate to be wrong like last year. Then again, I'd be pretty annoyed if I went to the expense and trouble to close it and we have a balmy winter. rofl.

Puffin,

Yes, this past winter was bad! What's interesting is that the previous owners never closed the pool... it looks like they just put the safety cover on and turned off the pump :( Water is a little high (right about at the top of the skimmers) but thankfully there are no leaks in the system and everything runs fine. I really want to know what that CYA reading is going to be :?:

I keep mine open year round in Dallas. It uses almost no chlorine when it's cold, and I only run the pump for 4 hours a day. The good thing was when it did get super cold here (unusual), the pump was already set to circulate during the coldest part of the night. I didn't have a bit of freeze or ice.

I have a year-round pool. Even though it doesn't freeze here, it does get too cold to swim, and I am too cheap to heat the thing year-round. Not rich enough, actually... But I digress. I do use the spa portion from time to time in the off season, and since it shares the pump, filter, and heater, I have to keep it all balanced. It uses very little chlorine when it's cold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wekener2,

I live on the opposite side of ATL from you. I am on the west side in the Hiram/Dallas area. We put in an above ground pool in 2009 and I have never closed it. Run the pump only about 2-4 hours in the winter. I do have a timer with freeze protection and it does a good job of kicking in when the temps drop.

Of course, since I installed the pool, we have had 2 of the worst (coldest) winters we have had in a while here. I have had some issues, but mostly with the skimmer getting ice in it. I did have to point the return (only one) towards the skimmer to keep it from freezing up and that helped quite a bit. I keep a light (1000 watt halogen) next to the pump/filter and can turn it on for heat if temps drop too much. My pump and filter are underneath my deck and I enclosed it a bit last year. They are not completely sealed,but enough to keep most of the heat in if I need to turn on the lights for warmth.

I too, like the view of the pool as opposed to a blue or green cover in the winter. Not a lot of work even though I have a lot of trees around. Have 2 neighbors with inground pools and they both close and their pools look awful over hte winter. Mine stays nice and clear and the grandsons always want to swim, even in the coldest days. :blah:

I wanted to add my 2 cents on this, of course, it is personal choice on keeping it open or closing.

wkener2 said:
Do those solar covers that they advertise really work like they say they do? If they really do raise water temp significantly that would extend the season...

Solar covers do work to some extent, but it's the equipment and plumbing that is at risk of freeze damage which would not be protected by the cover.

Yes to answer one of your questions - you can clear a green murky pool in a weeks time but you have to make the pool a committment/priority and be prepared to hit it hard around the clock - testing and adding chlorine, brushing, etc. Read the 'green swamp' Pool School article for specifics but it's definitely possible if all of the equipment is functioning properly.

I plan to keep mine open too.
What should I keep chem levels at when water is below 60, it is actually 42 now!
chems now are: FC-2.5, CYA is about 30, very low due to lots of water replacement, Ph is 7.7, TA is 50
Can I be a little less attentive to levels?
I do have a temp sensor that will turn on the pump below 36 or so. I have a back up generator as well so I should be ok unless the gas goes out:(

cood60 said:
I plan to keep mine open too.
What should I keep chem levels at when water is below 60, it is actually 42 now!
chems now are: FC-2.5, CYA is about 30, very low due to lots of water replacement, Ph is 7.7, TA is 50
Can I be a little less attentive to levels?
I do have a temp sensor that will turn on the pump below 36 or so. I have a back up generator as well so I should be ok unless the gas goes out:(
You can get lax with the FC since algae doesn't really grow well in cold water. I wouldn't advise completely ignoring it, but you can certainly skip testing a few days at a time. pH is still critical. You don't want scaling nor heater corrosion.

there should be a sticky for year round pools.
This is my first year with a pool and I don't plan on closing it this winter. dont have trees in my back yard and it rarely freezes over here in memphis,Tn. water is staying in the low 50's and i have gone a few days without turning the pump on or even checked it. pool is staying clear with a tad bit of leaves and dirt. i've been turning the pump on for about 4 or so hrs every couple of days. also put in a couple of pucks in the floater so i can be even lazier with maintenance. plan is to dump chlorine in if it starts to look hazy. so far so good :sleep:

you are testing every few days right?

I avoid the pucks as I am told the pucks come with their own issues as they are mostly wrappen in delivery agents that I think add to total dissolved something or others

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.