Would Zinc skimmer weight add metals to pool?

rcy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Would one of these..

ptc104af.jpg

add any metal to the pool water?

Would I be better off with a rock, or would a rock add something to the water?

Thanks.

Do NOT use a zinc skimmer basket weight. The zinc will corrode adding zinc ions to the pool. Since it is not electrically connected to any other metal in the pool, it provides NO protection of that metal despite manufacturer claims. If one wants a zinc anode, then one should bury it in moist soil and electrically connect it to the bonding wire to protect all metal exposed to pool water.

As for a skimmer basket weight, most people just add a pool thermometer that they tie to the skimmer lid for easy removal and to prevent it from getting into the pool. That's what I have and it works great. It's made of chrome, though after quite a few years I have found that it does corrode somewhat (solid stainless steel would have been better than chrome plating). As shown here, some are made of plastic so are unlikely to corrode. This one is chrome and is more like what I have.

Thanks. I've had one of these in the pool since built (the builder put it in). However, I took it out for my recent CUlator test, as I didn't want anything metal in the basket with the CUlator bag. Now I've been hesitant to put it back in - good thing I checked (and you answered). I don't quite get how the thermometer keeps the basket weighted down - is it heavy? In the meantime, do you think a simple rock would be ok..a potato stone like this..?

potatostone.jpg

Do most people even use something to keep the skimmer basket down? I only ask because prior to the builder supplying me with this (maybe the first two weeks of pool ownership), I came home one day to find the skimmer basket had popped out hard enough to life the skimmer cover off and was laying sideways in the skimmer. When I asked the pool builder about it, he gave me the zinc thingy. Maybe it was a one time chance thing, and I don't even need to weigh down the basket?

Most thermometers are heavier than water so weigh the skimmer down. At least my chrome one does for my skimmer basket. Normally the skimmer basket doesn't float as much as you are describing (i.e. not enough to pop off the skimmer cover).

As for rocks, they are probably OK as they are already weathered and unlikely to dissolve. You can test them by adding some acid to them. If they fizz, then they have too much calcium carbonate in them -- not that this is terrible, but you might as well use something that won't tend to either dissolve nor form scale. If they change significantly in color when acid is added, then don't use them as they probably have too much metal content.

That is a heck of a thing. I would more likely think someone was messing with my pool if I saw that. I do like the idea of putting the thermometer in there, especially when there are kids around that like to play with them until they are broken. :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.