High Calcium hardness and high phosphates.

GG

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2011
AustinTexas Hill Country
Okay...had water tested at pool store with following stats: FC 3.0; CC 0; ph 8.0; Hardness 450; Alkalinity 145; CA 65; 1500 Phosphates. Consulted Pool Calculator and added needed Chlorine and Acid. Am reluctant to replace any water since we are on a well and are in the midst of severe drought in Central Texas. I do know that we have very hard water and also have Luder stone edge around the hot tub and half of the pool which is being eroded by the salt water. Could this erosion be causing my high calcium level? Are there any other solutions other than replacing water? We have an auto fill feature. Thanks in advance for any advice. P.S. Is there anyway I could set up auto notification on my Blackberry when I receive a response to a post?

Since you have a swcg, your hardness is a little high but it's ok. Your TA is way high and your pH is way high. Your CYA is a little low but since that number came from a pool store I wouldn't adjust it.

The first thing I'd recommend is to adjust the pH to about 7.2 and that will help bring the TA down.

You really need a good test kit. There's a link in my sig to the best place to get one.

Thanks for the "subscribe topic" tip! I assume this will now notify me via email? Anyway....I do have the good test kit and am still a bit reluctant; have used it a couple times but it continues to intimidate me! My CYA is 65 which I did include but only called it "CA"

GG said:
Thanks for the "subscribe topic" tip! I assume this will now notify me via email? Anyway....I do have the good test kit and am still a bit reluctant; have used it a couple times but it continues to intimidate me! My CYA is 65 which I did include but only called it "CA"
If you have a good test kit, run a complete set of tests and post those # s I'd trust yours more than the pool store! Bama is correct lower ph to 7.2 and repeat when the ph reaches 7.8. This process will over time lower your tA. With high ph and high calcium you are creating an environment that will produce calcium scale.. The phosphates will be a non issue as long as you
maintain proper amounts of fc. IMHO as for options to water replacement, you could check on reverse osmosis treatment for your water.

As promised, my results this evening. FC 5;CC0; TC 5; ph 8.2+; TA 150; CH 420; CYA (not sure I did this correctly; does it mean that you can't see the black dot at all or when it changes to grey?) It never truly went away but it did change to grey. This morning I added 79 ounces of Clorox and 36 ounces of 31.45% Muriatic Acid. Would appreciate any and all advice! Thanks.....

If the CYA test never went away but became cloudy then your CYA is about 20. You'll need to add some.

Since your FC was 5 ppm you didn't need to add any chlorine unless you're shocking, but it's ok that you did.

Adding 36 oz of acid lowered your pH by .46 and your TA by 7.4. You'll probably need to add a lot more. You should be shooting for a pH of 7.2 each time you adjust. When you enter all your numbers in the Pool Calc it'll give you a pretty good idea of how much to add.

Thanks! I assume from your comments that the black dot should disappear, not just fade. I used the pool calculator and added the suggested amounts of acid n stabilizer, 46 ozs and a bottle of stabilizer. I will check again this evening. So appreciate the good help. Gives me hope!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GG

When using the pool calculator you want to make sure you've set your volume of water near the top, and TFP goal and pool type near the bottom. Also set your now and goals. This makes the calculator work for your pool, the defaults could give you erroneous readings for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.