Pool light full of water 1/3 way up (1-2" H2O perday loss)

Jul 25, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I'm going to do a dye test on the inside of the housing to see where the leak is. Any tips advice in advance? My estimate of water loss might be off. I'm actually doing a bucket test right now. I put the bucket in at noon. I'll measure at noon tomorrow.

Re: Pool light full of water 1/3 way up (1-2" H2O perday los

The water in the light should not have anything to do with any leak. The light is a sealed unit. However, you should turn off the breaker that goes to the light until the light is fixed.

A pool leak is most likely in the liner. It could also be in the plumbing, or the light conduit.

JamesW said:
The water in the light should not have anything to do with any leak. The light is a sealed unit. However, you should turn off the breaker that goes to the light until the light is fixed.

A pool leak is most likely in the liner. It could also be in the plumbing, or the light conduit.

If I seal on the returns (plugs) and skimmer (gizmo) and do another bucket test I can narrow the leak down to the pool liner, drain and light correct? Sorry for the questions. I'm new. Trying to learn. If the light conduit is the problem do I need to drain the pool below the light to fix it?

If you have a leak with the lines unplugged, and then no leak with the lines plugged, then that would indicate that it is the lines. If plugging the lines makes no difference, then the lines are probably fine.

You can dive and dye test any suspicious spots on the liner and you can dye test the light conduit. Dye testing the conduit can be tricky, but it is usually doable.

If the conduit is leaking, you can drain below the light and seal the conduit with silicone. Try to only use enough to seal the conduit. Don't pump a lot of silicone into the conduit as that can make it very difficult to replace the light if necessary. Allow the silicone 12 hours to dry before refilling.

Repair the light before sealing the conduit in case you have to replace the light.

If you have a main drain, plug it at the same time, or drain the system, or you could end up siphoning water from the other lines. There might be a hydrostat in the main drain pot, but that's unlikely on a vinyl pool.

JamesW said:
If you have a leak with the lines unplugged, and then no leak with the lines plugged, then that would indicate that it is the lines. If plugging the lines makes no difference, then the lines are probably fine.

You can dive and dye test any suspicious spots on the liner and you can dye test the light conduit. Dye testing the conduit can be tricky, but it is usually doable.

If the conduit is leaking, you can drain below the light and seal the conduit with silicone. Try to only use enough to seal the conduit. Don't pump a lot of silicone into the conduit as that can make it very difficult to replace the light if necessary. Allow the silicone 12 hours to dry before refilling.

Repair the light before sealing the conduit in case you have to replace the light.

If you have a main drain, plug it at the same time, or drain the system, or you could end up siphoning water from the other lines. There might be a hydrostat in the main drain pot, but that's unlikely on a vinyl pool.

I've got a few more questions. The light works still so I don't know what there would be to repair other than the leak. I have a main drain at the bottom of the pool, I don't think I would be able to hold my breath long enough to plug it.

Also, the pool liner is about 14 months old so I hope there are no leaks. That said if there are the are covered I spoke with the company that did the install, they said if the liner was leaking they would repair it.

edit-I think I'm going to try this if the conduit is leaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztjtMnrR ... age#t=393s

Results of bucket test are 1/4" of evaporation and I'm losing 1 1/3" a day. Didn't find any leaks behind light, skimmer, returns. I couldn't hold my breath long enough to test main drain.

Can you take a piece of thin rubber and position it with your pool pole over the MD to see if it'll seal off enough to lesson the loss. If it does you'll know it's the MD. You could drop a sand bag down on it to help it seal off. Leave a rope hooked to it so ti'll be easy to retrieve.

Bama Rambler said:
Can you take a piece of thin rubber and position it with your pool pole over the MD to see if it'll seal off enough to lesson the loss. If it does you'll know it's the MD. You could drop a sand bag down on it to help it seal off. Leave a rope hooked to it so ti'll be easy to retrieve.

Great idea! I'm going to try it.

You have to plug the main drain or you have to drain the pump and filter, or the water could siphon from one place to another.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

JamesW said:
You have to plug the main drain or you have to drain the pump and filter, or the water could siphon from one place to another.
Dang! I thought I would. :/ Would I be wrong to assume that I can plug my main drain with the same type of screw in fittings I put in my returns when I close my pool.

The main drain has a 1.5-inch or 2-inch threaded hole. You can use a threaded plug or you can use a rubber plug.

If you only want to do the skimmer and return lines, you don't have to plug the Main drain if you drain the pump and filter. Just turn off the system and open the air relief valve on the filter and that will drain the pump and filter enough.

JamesW said:
The main drain has a 1.5-inch or 2-inch threaded hole. You can use a threaded plug or you can use a rubber plug.

If you only want to do the skimmer and return lines, you don't
have to plug the Main drain if you drain the pump and filter. Just turn off the system and open the air relief valve on the filter and that will drain the pump and filter enough.
My filter unfortunately doesn't have a relief valve. I'm going to try to plug the main drain.

Wow! I think I found the link. A few years ago my backwash port had a VERY slow drip coming out of it. I used a clamp to clamp down the backwash hose to it tight. Well the leak I guess got MUCH WORSE over time. When I took the backwash hose off it was a very steady stream coming out. Normally this is the gasket for the multiport, right?

It sounds like the o-ring that goes around the body of the mutiport and the spider gasket. I would replace them both. It's cheap insurance.

Yeah, you're one of those that have to replace the whole internals. Either way, it's going to have to be done if it's leaking. The only other option is to replace the whole filter and/or valve.

Bama Rambler said:
Yeah, you're one of those that have to replace the whole internals. Either way, it's going to have to be done if it's leaking. The only other option is to replace the whole filter and/or valve.

Looks like if I buy a diverter repair kit it comes with the gasket. Part# 39251509K. water-dribbling-from-backwash-port-t20399.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.