Learned a lesson today, and a pool safety question.

thepiratemorgan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Central NY
Well, I learned that when I use the poolcalculator.com that I should check my numbers TWICE and dose ONCE. It's been awhile since I used Borax to raise pH up from 7.2 to 7.5 and I plugged what I thought was "7.2" into the pool calculator. Well, after I got back from putting 99oz. of Borax in my pool I went to close down the pool calculator and happened to notice "7..2" in the NOW column (notice the extra decimal point) Well.... I changed it to the correct "7.2" and well, long story short, I've dosed my pH to 8.2 now :oops: Let's just say, from now on I WILL CLOSELY LOOK AT INPUTTED NUMBERS !!! :lol:

Question? Should I stop by Home Depot or Lowes for muriatic acid?? Or can we safely swim while the pH slowly creeps down from our acid rain as has been happening all summer? Usually takes about three weeks to creep from 7.5 to 7.2 and that's if there has been good rainfall during that time. TA is 170 and I have had no problems with pH swings other than the slow creep down. Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS - Any recommended brands and usual price for muriatic acid from Lowes or Home Depot?

duraleigh said:
Unless your pool does otherwise, most pools tend to drift upwards regarding pH.

Regardless, it is important your pool get below 8.0 right away and I would suggest 7.4 as a target.

I would love to agree with you. But my pool drifts down over time and I think it's because of acid rain here. Now I know that that's a long shot (but we do have "dead" lakes up in our Adirondacks) but each and every time my pool needs to be drained of an inch or so of water due to rain accumulation, my pH drifts down a bit. But I will take your advice and grab some muriatic on the way home from work tomorrow and get her back down. At least I have another use for the muriatic ... can clean some rust spots on my concrete garage floor.

thepiratemorgan said:
Question? Should I stop by Home Depot or Lowes for muriatic acid??

PS - Any recommended brands and usual price for muriatic acid from Lowes or Home Depot?
Both HD and Lowes have it as well as every pool store on the planet. If you buy it in a big box store just make sure you go to the pool dept in the garden center. It will be about 10-11$ for two gallons. If you buy it in the paint dept it will be $7-7.50 for 1 gallon. If you need less than a gal that's your call and some ofthe pool stores sell it in single gal cheap as well.

What do you keep your TA at. A higher TA will help with the lower PH. For my AGP with SWCG I need a TA of about 140 to stabilize PH. When I installed the SWCG I brought TA down to 80 but PH was always drifting lower. Adjust your TA until you find your sweet spot.

thepiratemorgan said:
Well, I learned that when I use the poolcalculator.com that I should check my numbers TWICE and dose ONCE
There could be errors both ways. I always tell my customers to add half of whatever they're supposed to add, wait, retest and adjust. This is done also to avoid surprises.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CaOCl2 said:
thepiratemorgan said:
Well, I learned that when I use the poolcalculator.com that I should check my numbers TWICE and dose ONCE
There could be errors both ways. I always tell my customers to add half of whatever they're supposed to add, wait, retest and adjust. This is done also to avoid surprises.

Yep, I have seen that written here before ... and will start practicing that theory. As you say, at least there will be NO surprises. And thanks for the added "dump on" dear Linen ... it was well deserved ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for a source of muriatic acid in central NY ... Lowes has 31.5% for around $7.50 or $7.98 per gallon (Klean-Strip). I could NOT find a "pool section" in our Lowes. The only stuff I found at Home Depot was also Klean-Strip but was the "low-odor" / "safer" stuff that an MSDS lists as <25% hydrochloric acid .. whatever that means. Home Depot had a "pool section" but they only had dry acid.

Thanks for everyone's comments / suggestions. My TA has been around 170 and pH usually SLOWLY drifts down as described above. Haven't thought about lowering it because I haven't really thought of it as being problematic.

thepiratemorgan said:
CaOCl2 said:
thepiratemorgan said:

Yep, I have seen that written here before ... and will start practicing that theory. As you say, at least there will be NO surprises. And thanks for the added "dump on" dear Linen ... it was well deserved ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for a source or muriatic acid in central NY ... Lowes has 31.5% for around $7.50 or $7.98 per gallon (Klean-Strip). I could NOT find a "pool section" in our Lowes. The only stuff I found at Home Depot was also Klean-Strip but was the "low-odor" / "safer" stuff that an MSDS lists as <25% hydrochloric acid .. whatever that means. Home Depot had a "pool section" but they only had dry acid.

Thanks for everyone's comments / suggestions. My TA has been around 170 and pH usually SLOWLY drifts down as described above. Haven't thought about lowering it because I haven't really thought of it as being problematic.

I can't find MA in the HD in Poughkeepsie, Fishkill or Brewster, NY. I get mine from the local ace or true value HW store in the paint section. $6.99-$7.49/gal. I have not checked Lowes in NY locations

dmanb2b - I found the "<25%" Klean-Strip stuff in and around the paint section of the store. It was directly across from the expensive "concrete cleaners" (a "green" version and I guess a "not so green version") by BEHR that did not list contents. Didn't matter, as I wasn't about to throw $20 a gallon for what "maybe was" muriatic acid. As for the Lowes 31.5% Klean-Strip, I found that in Aisle 13 "Cleaners" section.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Acid is usually found outside but under cover in HD and Lowes. Sometimes its in the concrete supply area or in plumbing.

Scott

I would love to say they are, but not here in good ole NYS. Home Depot does have a pool section, our Lowes does not. Muriatic acid seems to be "elusive" to consumers around here.
BTW - I did aerate the pool for a few days and it helped with pH, thanks for that.

thepiratemorgan said:
PoolGuyNJ said:
Acid is usually found outside but under cover in HD and Lowes. Sometimes its in the concrete supply area or in plumbing.

Scott

I would love to say they are, but not here in good ole NYS. Home Depot does have a pool section, our Lowes does not. Muriatic acid seems to be "elusive" to consumers around here.
BTW - I did aerate the pool for a few days and it helped with pH, thanks for that.

thepiratemorgan, the HD in DeWitt has a whole pallet of MA outside near the concrete supply, 2 gallons for $11.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.