Granular Shock Will Not Dissolve

Chappy

May 28, 2008
Central Texas
I've been successfully using liquid bleach for several years now and my water is looking great. However, recently I dumped in 2 packets of Zappit (1lb each) granular shock. Got it for free at the pool store and was out of liquid one day. Anyway, it's been about 3 weeks now and it will not dissolve. It sinks to the bottom and the water is clear, but if I brush the sides it clouds up the entire pool.

My pump/filter is running for about 8 hours a day, but I can't seem to get this stuff to dissolve. Very strange.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!!

However, recently I dumped in 2 packets of Zappit (1lb each) granular shock. Got it for free at the pool store and was out of liquid one day.
Yikes! Freebies almost never go unpunished!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brush it NOW until it dissolves or your skimmer/drain sucks it up. Get it off your liner. Stay out of the pool store. You're not getting any help there.

Why did you put it in your pool to begin with?

Super Zappitâ„¢ Shock Treatment is supposed to be just Cal-Hypo and soluble salts so I don't know why you have a residual that isn't dissolving. If your water is quite a bit over-saturated with calcium carbonate, then it could just be chunks of that which are slow to dissolve, though if that were the case then when you added the product the pool would have likely clouded quite severely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update.... first attempt at vacuuming didn't go so well.... it just made it all the way through the filter and shot out the jets. I'm trying to vacuum to waste now... not that I want to waste all that water, but I don't see any other way. What is this stuff!!!???

I have backwashed and rinsed several times until the water is clear. If I could get the top off (Tagelus), what am I looking for and what should I do?

The Dang shock still puffs up as a white powder whenever I brush anything today, even after I tried vacuuming some of it up yesterday :(

So I removed the top of the filter, stuck a hose down there for about 15 minutes to clean it all out, tried vacuuming again and within a few minutes the white smoke was pouring out of the jets.

Maybe I should try a different approach. Since this stuff dissolves so slowly, should I just keep constantly brushing the pool to keep it circulated - maybe then it will dissolve.

I guess it's better than having algae that won't go away, but it's pretty annoying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.