Pentair Whisperflow Motor Loose?

May 3, 2011
PSL, FL
I have a 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump. It is working fine, except for one thing.

I was cleaning out the basket and noticed when I powered it back up, I saw the motor move.

It was hot and I couldn't investigate further at the time.

So last night after it had cooled down, I grabbed the end of the motor and it moved quite a bit, I could rock it up/down and side/side.

When I say quite a bit, I mean it moved easily, and quite a bit because it seemed to me it should be tight.

I took a socket out there and tried the bolts on the motor flange and they were all tight. I loosened one and re-tightened it to make sure they were not just "bound".

I called Pentair today and they really were not much help.

Anybody seen this?

I have no water leaks, the pump works well and is not noisey.

The only issue I have is air in the basket that I am trying to track down. Don't now if it could entrain air there and not leak water, doesn't seem like it though.

Bama Rambler said:
Take a real close look at it and see exactly it's loose at. It may be the seal plate on the pump. If it is you'll need to tighten the seal plate bolts.
Here's a topic that will show you ho it's assembled.

Thanx! I was just watching a Youtube video about this, but it wasn't near as good as the write up.

I looked over the pump again and found my problem. The thread boss/mounts for the motor are broken on the seal plate. I don't know why it isn't jumping all over the place! I don't think they are all broke, but it looks like more than one is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.