Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Snakes and Skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Snakes and Skimmers

Okay, I am no longer sticking my fingers in the skimmer top to empty the basket. I just now did it and found a snake. I did rescue that flippin snake (after I did some horrible running around/dance thing) and screamed like my 5yo daughter while I did it. Thank goodness my neighbors all work during the day or else they would have thought I was being attacked. Anyway, how can I get the lid up now? My top fits snug so you have to open with both holes and sorta turn as you pull up. Do they make something for this?
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

2. Back To Top    #2
    plunger???

you could stick a crowbar in the hole and pull up, or somthing of the like.

3. Back To Top    #3

Andie, I can fully sympathize, it's a little 'unsettling' to find the skimmer occupied by a snake What I usually do is use a screwdriver to pop the lid (with yours 2 should work fine)

As an aside, I had a 'pet' snake live in my garden last spring, he'd be there when I got home sunning himself under my roses - I'll post a pic in the 'show us your pets' thread and tell the story there once I get my wife to load the pic onto my computer.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have two snakes that live in the pool shed. They love "SnakeAway" and lay on mothballs. They love to lay next to the pump motor for heat in the early mornings of May to get away from the cold. Starting mid-June; they are gone.
    Every once-in-awhile in July; I'll run across one of their offspring.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

5. Back To Top    #5
    i never had snakes, but i had lots and lots of squirrels get in them. one time i even found a frog.

6. Back To Top    #6
    No snakes yet, but I found frogs most every morning this past summer. Last February I found a few ducks!
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

7. Back To Top    #7

That duck is so cute. That I would not mind finding . I have found plenty of frogs and large spiders but they never really bothered me. This darn snake though ...man I am still freaked out. However I did identify it as a Texas Brown snake which are supposedly completely harmless. Now I wonder if I should have "caught" it for my daughter as she loves stuff like this. Nah...... I took some pics which will have to do . Seriously though, I am not lifting the skimmers up by hand anymore so I will try the screwdrivers. Thanks!
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

8. Back To Top    #8
    How about rope?

If you have two holes in the skimmer top, why couldn't you just thread a length of rope through both and tie it in a knot for a handle? Or if there is only one hole, you could run the rope through the hole and tie a large knot that won't pull through the hole in each end, and use it for a handle.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

9. Back To Top    #9
    Gawd! If I found a snake in my skimmer basket I would NEVER empty it again. EVER. Snakes freak me out so bad. Two years ago when I was picking beans in my garden a garter snake slithered across my hand. My reasonable Self said, "Calm down, it's harmless," but my Inner Child completely fell apart. Talk about instinctual fears!

I can't give up my garden. It's what I live for, and so I've had to work very VERY hard at overcoming my fear of snakes. Fortunately we don't have any poisonous ones in this area. I now tell myself 'snakes are good, snakes are beneficial to the garden, snakes eat creepy crawlies, snakes are my friends . . .'

Won't belong now before the men in white coats come take me away

You have my TOTAL sympathy for that nasty experience.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

10. Back To Top    #10

Twice now we have had a small snake in our skimmer. I now take the basket out with a long hook I made out of a coat hanger. I have also ran across frogs, spiders tons of them and even moles. For some reason we had a bad run of grubs and i would wake up to find about 30 or so in the bottom of the pool. Milky spores seems to have helped in that department. Life here in eastern NC is never dual.
    24k IG Vinyl D.E. Filter, SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Snakes and Skimmers

I found a snake in my skimmer basket. Not sure what kind it is.....I'm hoping it dies in the skimmer. I've included a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laura
    Baltimore MD
    IG pool 25,000 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    Plaster pool

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Gives me the heebie-jeebies just seeing that pic.

I've got Skippy trained to do the skimmer clean out as I test the chems.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter

13. Back To Top    #13

It's thirsty all it wants is a drink of water lol
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

14. Back To Top    #14

Quite a surprise when that head poked out when I opened the lid. Also had a swimmer one morning. Both were copperheads (very common here on the river). Both dispatched quickly.
    30,000 gal, IG plaster
    2 hp Pentair Challenger pump
    Triton II TR 60 sand filter
    TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Snakes, frogs, scorpions, mice, spiders, and just about every other insect I can think of in our skimmer. I'm out in the country, so our pool is an oasis for many. Most of those snakes that get into our pool, like the one in the pic above, are our non-venomous Texas Ribbon or Lined snakes. Usually we just call everything garter or field snakes. Most of them are harmless, even if they "nip" at you. Still freaky though. I try to handle some of the non-venomous ones just to get past my fear of snakes. If you ever get a pure, jet-black snake in your pool, make sure it's not a Cottonmouth. We get rattlers here (outside the pool) so I'm always on my toes. They (all snakes) are everywhere. We just have to stay out of each other's way.... and skimmer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

I have a garter snake that has figured out how to run around my whole pool from behind. My steps have these little weep holes in a channel where the steps butt up against the concrete. The little stinker got in the channel and can now circle the entire pool. I find him sticking his head out by either steps, and sometimes in the skimmer (but not in the water). Maybe he'll screw up and fall in the skimmer basket one of these days.
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit