Using marble under water

MarkTTU

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
I need to get some pictures up here, but we are mid pool build and had the brilliant idea of cutting out a cotton boll and placing it at the bottom of the pool between the main drains. (we're in the middle of the largest cotton patch in the world). Initially we thought of cutting it out of porcelain tile and then we had the idea to cut it out of marble instead. We like the marble better, but it occurs to me that marble isn't the hardest stone out there and I wonder if there will be any problems with marble submerged at the bottom of my pool. Anyone have any experience with submerged marble?

Never seen it and I wouldn't try it.

From Wikipedia: "The resulting marble rock is typically composed of an interlocking mosaic of carbonate crystals." I suspect when you adjust pH you'll just dissolve the marble and the carbonate crystals will become CO2 and your fancy rock work will literally evaporate. And if that doesn't happen, what if you get some scale and go at it with a wire brush?

Dalandlord said:
Good move going with porcelain. Just curious is that a water jet you cut on?
Yep. Its one very cool machine. We just got it a few weeks ago and the guys who actually run it (I'm an electrical guy, not a mechanical guy) have had a blast cutting all sorts of materials already (wood, plastic, glass, etc). Beats the pants off a laser for versatility.

Welcome to the forum Mark! Midlander here. :wave:

I figured you'd have enough cotton blowing into your pool with adding more. :lol:

Hope your build goes well and you get many years of fun from your pool. Good choice on nixing the Marble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.