Concerned About Plaster Discoloration

Jul 3, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
this pool was re-plastered July 27-2011,

the water has always looked great, could always see the bottom, nice and clear.

tc=4
fc= 4
ph= 7.7
ta= 170
ch= 287
cya= 100
temp 100

within the last few days i have noticed the bottom and now the sides are looking discolored or stained. does not feel slimy, or slippery.
it is not a uniform pattern or?

almost looks like it is working its way down the wall as if it were sliding down?

DSC03072.jpg

Yes,

I brushed it everyday, sometimes twice for the first 3 weeks, even now i brush it with a vac brush at least every two days. sometimes every day depending on the amount of dirt on the bottom, been windy the last few days.

I check the chemistry every day and it looks good except TA and CH are always high. the water has always been clear. i add acid and run the spa pump, blower and jets.

The pool surface feels clean nothing slimy or greasy.

Last night i started to notice particles suspended in the water?

Just a little worried before something gets out of control that could be prevented or adjusted now.

Thanks
John

Rob

The numbers i put up yesterday, Tuesday were form the pool store.

Today Wednesday, i came up with the following, with TFTK-100.
FC 7
CC =0
PH =7.5
TA =140
CH =220
CYA =55
TEMP =100

The day before, Monday i had w/ the TFTK-100
FC =7.5
CC =0
PH =7.5
TA =150
CH =220
CYA =60
TEMP =100

the pool is clear to the bottom of about 7'.

i do see small particles floating around only at night with the light on.

there is no smell.

the filter was cleaned last week.

i have not added Clorox for the last 3 days, because i had it at FC= 10. the day before.Saturday / Sunday

is it possible to not have to add anything for a few days except acid.

the pool is in direct sunlight 80% of the day.

i brush and vacuum every day with a miss here and there and that would only be a day missed at the most.

the surface feels clean almost like a chalk board.

any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated, would help with a piece of mind to just relax and know nothing is wrong.

thank you

john

Your current numbers from your TFT test kit look good. TA is a little high, but normal with new plaster for it to rise with PH. keep adding acid to keep your PH at 7.2 or so and TA will work its way down. If you are running spa jets and blower a lot that can raise PH due to aeration..keep an eye on PH and don't let it get above 7.8.

Its normal to see very small particles in the water at night using the light. The strong light is scattering of these particles making them easy to see due to the high contrast with darkness but you would never see these during the day with sunlight. These are particles too small for your filter to catch and nothing to worry about. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Keep it up!

Optica.

Thank you. :-D

Is there any such thing as a false reading on the FC. Seems like it has not moved much in a few days? :?

i do the chlorine drop test, 1 scoop, # of drops x 5,,, then add the 5 drops of R-0003 and it always stays clear, i even try adding a few more just to see if it will change color and it never does. :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, on the Combined Chlorine.

i ask because i have not added Chlorine in a few days. it shows around 7 for the last few days.

we have been using the pool and it is in direct sunlight 80% of the day.

Another question, on the CH test, wait till it turns a hint of blue or keep dropping until clearly a defined blue, or once it is blue, i add another drop it does not change anymore?

CC=0 is a good thing. That means your FC is keeping up well with the sanitation demands.

I can't quite tell from your equipment list - do you have an SWG? If so, that would keep the FC high without needing to add liquid.

As for the CH test, as long as the color keeps changing, keep adding drops. When you add a drop which doesn't change the color, stop - and don't count that last drop in the total. So if drops 25-28 each made it more blue, then drop #29 didn't change the color, your reading is 280.

TA is a constant battle for me anytime the wind blows the pool full of dirt the TA goes up since our soil has high alkalinity it makes sense, I live in an area with BLM (not developed) land all around.

My tap water CH is 350 I do not know if all parts of the valley are the same or not but with evaporation the CH goes up fast.

We do not use a lot of chlorine most of the time, if it is not windy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.