How annoying

jongig

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 27, 2010
How annoying

I had a in-ground pool put in late last year with a Hayward 1HP 2 speed pump, Maxiflo 2 series. The pool uses an automation system and is connected to two solar systems, one for the house and one that is a pool system.

The pump stopped working while we were away and the solar exchanger got so hot that it melted the PVC connected to it. The house solar system heat dumps at 180 degrees but obviously it needs to be lower for the pool plumbing.

What has me mad is that dealing with the dealer is a nightmare and because I removed the pump I may have voided the warranty. How nuts. It was easy to see it was the pump motor because the plastic fan inside the motor was sideways and clearly something catastrophic happened inside the motor. All I did was remove the two unions and the electric, which I had connected anyway since they don’t do electric.

I have a Pentair Automation system and maybe I should have purchased a Pentair.

Is this normal?

Is the Hayward a cheep pump?

JamesW said:
Didn't the solar have a way to drain when the flow stopped?

I have two solar systems, one is a pool system that drains and the other is a closed loop house system with a water/water exchanger at the pool pump. The pipes melted because there was no circulating pool water in the exchanger. I will install a pressure sensor so that the pool exchanger doesn't get any hot water from the house solar unless there is water pressure in the pool pipes. I had actually thought about it but didn't install it and I don't remember why.

Even more annoying is that I'm still waiting for a replacement pump and if I could buy one I would because I never thought I wouldn't have it by this weekend but it looks very possible right now.

Don't blame Hayward if your dealer is a jerk. Removing the pump would not normally void a warranty, although some dealers will stick you any way they can. Unless you took the pump apart & changed something, the mfg. isn't going to care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.