Converting from EZ Pool

Jul 4, 2011
Houma, LA
Taking the plunge this week to move to BBB. Any tips for someone moving away from EZ Pool? Thanks in advance. I've been through all of the data here and expect to just go ahead and add the chlorine and test frequently to get to the right levels.

edspoon said:
Taking the plunge this week to move to BBB. Any tips for someone moving away from EZ Pool? Thanks in advance. I've been through all of the data here and expect to just go ahead and add the chlorine and test frequently to get to the right levels.
You have a proper test kit?

K-2006 or TF100 is what you want. I recommend a speedstir; nobody who has one has expressed regrets at buying it!

And be sure to bookmark the Pool Calculator, you'll be using it a lot.

I am about one month in to a conversion from EZ Pool to BBB. Purchased a home with the pool, and the prior owner had used EZ Pool for a couple years. I think that was the extent of the use of EZ Pool (she only lived there for a short time). She also kept a puck in the skimmer at all times.

In any event, before the closing I purchased the TF100 and Speedstir and had spent a lot of time on TFP. When I moved in, the water was clear, which was a good thing. It tested for <0.5 FC and <0.5 CC. I tested for CYA which was around 30-40, and that in turn told me how much bleach to use. Since then, I have just added bleach every day, and because of the CYA level, I usually just use the simple drop test to see if my chlorine level has fallen much below 5. I will confess to not using the Pool Calculator too often. I will instead add about a half of a 182 oz jug of bleach, or maybe 2/3 of a jug, depending on the drop test results. I have bought some CYA but am hesitant to add it this late in the season, especially since so far things have been under control. Would only need to go up 10-20 ppm anyway.

I have also run the other tests. My TA is relatively low, about 50-60 if I recall correctly. The pH has stayed between 7.2 and 7.5, and I have never had to add anything to raise or lower it, at least so far. CH was also good. Haven't done anything to adjust TA, CH, or anything else other than FC.

One thing I have neglected to do is take the water to the pool store to test for copper. However, there has not been any kind of green sheen to the water, which I understand can be indicative of too much copper, and so far my hair and white bathing suit have not started to turn green! Knock on wood. But if the copper at some point does turn out to be a problem, then I suppose I will just have to use a sequestrant and/or replace water. Hopefully won't have to do that.

The moral of the story is, I think, that if there was not too much EZ Pool used, such that the copper is not a problem, and if the CYA is not too high, then the conversion can be really straightforward. Just hit the ground running with BBB. I hope that your conversion is just as easy.

- Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.