Need a new InGround Pump for my 20x40 pool

Apr 30, 2007
NJ
Well my pump bought the farm at the end of last year, it was a Hayward Super-II pump 1.5 hp. What should I replace it with that might use less power.

I have a heatpump, but last year ran mostly with a pair of 2'x20' (80 sqFt total) solar mats that ran on a bypass line.

Is it worth buying one of the expensive high eff pumps, if so which one? What should I expect to pay and how much less power do they really consume?

if you want a high eff i would get the intelliflo, they are supposed to save like 60% of a normal pump and are super quiet, but expect to pay 900 to 1000. or if you want just a replacement pump a hayward 1.5 hp pump is only like 300.

btw, nice choice of cameras, my son bought a d2Xs, takes awsome pics.

good luck pump hunting.

A high efficiency variable speed pump will pay for it's self quite quickly in areas with high electrical costs, and far more slowly in areas with low electrical costs. Right now people here have a fair bit of experience with the IntelliFlo series and some with the Ikeric line. At least one other brand has come out with a variable speed pump recently but is too new to comment on. The IntelliFlo comes in two models, variable speed for around $900 and variable flow for around $1300.

Electrical savings can range from 30% to 90% depending on what you were using previously and what percentage of the time you have high flow water features turned on. The variable flow model generally saves more than the simpler variable speed model does, particularly if you are not an expert at calculating the ideal speed to use on the variable speed model. Savings are lower with high flow and/or high head water features turned on, though you still save a little even then.

An alternative would be a dual speed pump. They are noticeably less expensive to install, typically around $500 to $600 for a good one. Savings are lower but still substantial.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.