Whisperflow pump making NEW STRANGE LOUD noise!

Sep 12, 2010
I inherited the pump when I bought the house 1 year ago. Don't know it's age or it's history. One day it started making a small whining noise. A noise that didn't exist until just last week when it started. The pump still works as normal, I haven't noticed any drop in it's efficiency. BUT, the noise is getting louder and louder with each passing day. It's a loud whining noise and it happens right at the joint of the pump, where the motor portion meets the water inlet area by what seems to be the impeller (a guess).

I've taken out the strainer basket and reached in there and felt the impeller blades and rotated it just fine. It does not bind or hang up on itself and it rotates fine. But it sounds to me as if that may be the problem. Do they have bearings? How do I replace something like that? Is it even something I can do myself? Should i just buy a whole new pump? I'd like to NOT do that seeing as how a new costs quite a bit.....

You can replace the motor bearings yourself. You'll have to take the pump apart but it's a pretty straight forward process.
Here's a topic on how to replace the seal. It'll show you how to tear it down.
You'll also want to replace the seal when you replace the bearings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.