Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital wiring question

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
What is the purpose of the digital pump relay in the pool pilot digital, is it to replace my intermatic timer? I just ordered one to replace my polaris autoclear plus that died. Right now, the intermatic timer provides power to everything so when it is off all of my equipment is off. Should the pool pilot be wired hot all the time and use the pool pump relay in the pool pilot to run the pump, and use the intermatic timer to run my booster pump? Or should I just wire the pool pilot into the existing wiring that is there for the autoclear plus and have everything cut off as before? I am just trying to get a game plan together before my new SWCG arrives. Thanks!!

I have a pool pilot digital and if I turn off the pump with the old switch
I have to manually turn pump back on with the Dig 220 after I turn on old
switch. If the power goes off I have to turn on pump at the Dig 220 also.

Just to add, I have the pump relay also. You do not have to use it if you don't
want to. It shows you in the instructions how to wire it both ways. The relay is used
so you can turn off and on pump with the program.

jsw, the DIG does not automatically come with the internal pump relay and must be requested (at no charge). The wiring should be HOT to the Pool Pilot, but is connected to a specific terminal position. This allows the Pool Pilot to be programmed for One Speed Pump (on when programmed to be on) or Two Speed Pump (always on). This mode does replace your Intermatic time clock.
However, you mentioned that your Intermatic Timer is also running your booster pump. If this is the case, then you cannot use the Pool Pilot to control that. In which case, you should continue to use your Intermatic Timer, and wire the Pool Pilot to the LOAD side of the time clock, on the same terminals that your pool pump is connected to.

Poolsean said:
jsw, the DIG does not automatically come with the internal pump relay and must be requested (at no charge). The wiring should be HOT to the Pool Pilot, but is connected to a specific terminal position. This allows the Pool Pilot to be programmed for One Speed Pump (on when programmed to be on) or Two Speed Pump (always on). This mode does replace your Intermatic time clock.
However, you mentioned that your Intermatic Timer is also running your booster pump. If this is the case, then you cannot use the Pool Pilot to control that. In which case, you should continue to use your Intermatic Timer, and wire the Pool Pilot to the LOAD side of the time clock, on the same terminals that your pool pump is connected to.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to either way? I could always sync the clocks on the intermatic and the DIG and use the intermatic to run just the booster pump if needed. Just my way of thinking, but it seems leaving the DIG hot 24/7 is just wear and tear on it. The way it is now, I will have to use the second scenario you mentioned unless I do some rewiring.

The advantage of using the internal relay is that freezing temps will go into freeze protect mode and activate the circulation pump automatically (below 40 degrees water temp). Also, boost mode will override your time clock settings and run for a continual 24 or 72 hr cycle.
Wiring it 24/7 will actually power down the salt component side of the system, and allowing the time clock to activate or deactivate the pump relay. There's virtually no wear in this.

I would recommend just using the Intermatic, as the syncronizing the two to operate together can go out of sync and may be not worth it.

Poolsean said:
The advantage of using the internal relay is that freezing temps will go into freeze protect mode and activate the circulation pump automatically (below 40 degrees water temp). Also, boost mode will override your time clock settings and run for a continual 24 or 72 hr cycle.
Wiring it 24/7 will actually power down the salt component side of the system, and allowing the time clock to activate or deactivate the pump relay. There's virtually no wear in this.

I would recommend just using the Intermatic, as the syncronizing the two to operate together can go out of sync and may be not worth it.

If this is the best scenario, I have no issues with rewiring the system. Both pumps have a switch inline and can be powered off. And thinking about it, there really isn't any reason to have the booster on a timer as I can just turn it on or off as needed via the switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.