izonator for the pool

orca

Aug 15, 2011
hello new friends !!! :wave:

i'm new here so i don't know if here is the right place to post this question...

i have clorine pool and i want to change it to non chlorine pool , on the web i saw:

1. carefree
2.ecosmart
3. pristine blue

Is this stuff really warks or is it just waste of money ?
do i need anyway to do chlorine shock form time to time ?
is anyone can recommend one of the system from his/her excperince ?

Hi, welcome to TFP! We have many posters who have used such systems in the past and the vast majority of them where unhappy with the results. Type any of those 3 systems in the google search at the bottom left of this page and it will pull up plenty of threads for you to review.

The bottom line is all alternative pool sanitation systems require at least a small amount of chlorine be used for sanitation. All pools need chlorine, bromine, or biguanide for sanitation.

All of those systems have problems associated with them. None are EPA approved sanitizers without the addition of chlorine. They are all very expensive to maintain. The sales people of these systems will enjoy the commission more than you will enjoy their use.

What is your reason for wanting to go chlorine free??? Many problems associated with chlorine pools are not due to chlorine but improper maintance/testing of the water balance of the pool.

If you let us know what your issues are we can likely help. There are ways to maintain a lower chlorine level safely such as a salt water chlorine generator. Although these systems can take around $1000 to set up in the long run it would be much cheaper than any of the above systems.

my main problem is alleges (greens one) , i put chlorine in the skimmers but on the floor of the pool and in the corners alleges divelopt
i put dust chlorine in the place of the alleges every week, it last for 4-7 day and come back agin
my pool ph 7.4-7.6, i don't know the other level of alkaline ext , this is my first problem also i want less work at the maintanice,
my pool is about 11,000 gallons

Read up in the pool school link at top of page, get a good test kit, (I would get the TF-100 :) ) post your pool water spec's here and we can help with your water balance.
You might have a CYA level off the charts and thus a problem with not enough chlorine to do the job of keeping the algae away.

Chuck

It sounds like you may be using Trichlor pucks/tabs and putting them in the skimmer. If that is the case, that is a bad thing to do because they are very acidic. They also build up Cyanuric Acid (CYA) over time which makes chlorine less effective and would then let algae be able to grow faster than chlorine can kill it. It is important to maintain an appropriately high Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the CYA level. Read the Pool School as suggested. We can most certainly help you keep your pool algae-free using chlorine alone as that is what tens of thousands of pool owners are doing on this and some other pool forums without the need for any algaecides, clarifiers, floculants, enzymes, or weekly shocking.

What Chemgeek said!

My pool is crystal-clear and sparkles. No algae anywhere. All I've ever added to the pool is water, bleach, muriatic acid, and a few trichlor pucks to replenish CYA lost to pumpouts. My equipment consists of a pump, a filter, and a heater. No clarifiers, flocculants, enzymes, ionizers, or mysterious snake oils needed. Just a few minutes every day or two with a decent test kit.

orca said:
my main problem is alleges (greens one) , i put chlorine in the skimmers but on the floor of the pool and in the corners alleges divelopt
i put dust chlorine in the place of the alleges every week, it last for 4-7 day and come back agin
my pool ph 7.4-7.6, i don't know the other level of alkaline ext , this is my first problem also i want less work at the maintanice,
my pool is about 11,000 gallons

Yes. Test results followed by a proper shock process or partial drain/refill depending upon your CYA level will clear your pool.

If you are looking for less work and maintanence then a SWCG would be a good investment. Your pool is much larger than mine but still relativly small. There are people on this site that use the above ground pool Intex SWCG for an inground pool of your size. Although it is not properly electrically bonded it is very cheap and simple to install, (on sale at walmart.com for $100 now).

This would be cheaper than an ionizer and much more effective. I run mine at night when nobody is in the pool. I keep a minimum FC level of 5 ppm with 80 PPM CYA and the water is crystal clear. I test the water ballance 3 times a week and it is always spot on.

First things first. Get a good test kit and read, read, read pool school. We are here to help.

Thanx you all ,you really cheer me up
How can I get a good test kit ? I have one that measure only ph & chlorine level
I'm from Israel so if you know a place that send international it will be helpful
Sorry if my English not good :)
My pool is inground concert with glass mozaic
Thanx again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.