Pump / Filter combo for 12 x 17 AG? Much advice needed.

mnormington

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Burbank, IL
I am installing a new pool this spring. It is a 12 x 17 Wilbar AG - around 6,000 gallons? Originally, the pool store guy (henceforth PSG) sold us the following package with the pool:
1. 150 sq ft cartridge filter by Hayward coupled with a 2 HP pump with a timer on it, also Hayward
2. Nature 2
3. one of those ladybug suction side cleaner things
4. a beaded liner (not the overlapping kind)
5. a bunch of other stuff that's not important for the purpose of this thread

THEN I started reading this forum.... and made the following adjustments to my order - which saved me about $350.
1. downgraded the pump to a Hayward Powerflo LX 1 HP without the timer
2. got rid of the Nature 2
3. got rid of the ladybug and ordered a pool rover junior on the internet to replace it
4. replaced beaded liner with overlap one for ease of install since I'm doing it
5. ordered a liquidator to automate chlorine dosing cuz I'm going the BBB route
6. ordered TF Test kit. It looks like exactly what's needed

The cartridge filter is a Hayward Swimpro Voyager which is like a store brand version of the Hayward Xstream. I went with the smaller pump so I could run it for longer cycles as I figure this will make the liquidator system work better and help keep the chlorine levels consistent. I wanted to go with a 3/4 HP pump but they didn't offer one (don't ask) so I went with the 1 HP. For the price I figure if I don't like it I can use it for a backup after I replace it. Any suggestions in this department? I don't want to break the bank on the top of the line, I just want one that's going to work for my application and not break.

Am I on the right track so far? Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(Whaddaya know, I didn't need to use the PSG thing after all!)

MNormington,

Just to reinforce what Jason has already said, sounds like you've done your homework....very thorough and well thought out.

I am particulary fond of your adjustment #6!! :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

UPDATE

Well, I finally settled on a pump / filter combination. I am going with a Hayward Swimclear 225 sq ft cartridge filter that I bought on clearance for $289. I am going to mate that up with a Pentair Whisperflo 1/2 HP of the energy efficient variety. Just waiting for the backyard to thaw out...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.