Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump / Filter combo for 12 x 17 AG? Much advice needed.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump / Filter combo for 12 x 17 AG? Much advice needed.

I am installing a new pool this spring. It is a 12 x 17 Wilbar AG - around 6,000 gallons? Originally, the pool store guy (henceforth PSG) sold us the following package with the pool:
    1. 150 sq ft cartridge filter by Hayward coupled with a 2 HP pump with a timer on it, also Hayward
    2. Nature 2
    3. one of those ladybug suction side cleaner things
    4. a beaded liner (not the overlapping kind)
    5. a bunch of other stuff that's not important for the purpose of this thread

THEN I started reading this forum.... and made the following adjustments to my order - which saved me about $350.
    1. downgraded the pump to a Hayward Powerflo LX 1 HP without the timer
    2. got rid of the Nature 2
    3. got rid of the ladybug and ordered a pool rover junior on the internet to replace it
    4. replaced beaded liner with overlap one for ease of install since I'm doing it
    5. ordered a liquidator to automate chlorine dosing cuz I'm going the BBB route
    6. ordered TF Test kit. It looks like exactly what's needed

The cartridge filter is a Hayward Swimpro Voyager which is like a store brand version of the Hayward Xstream. I went with the smaller pump so I could run it for longer cycles as I figure this will make the liquidator system work better and help keep the chlorine levels consistent. I wanted to go with a 3/4 HP pump but they didn't offer one (don't ask) so I went with the 1 HP. For the price I figure if I don't like it I can use it for a backup after I replace it. Any suggestions in this department? I don't want to break the bank on the top of the line, I just want one that's going to work for my application and not break.

Am I on the right track so far? Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(Whaddaya know, I didn't need to use the PSG thing after all!)
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

2. Back To Top    #2
    It sounds like you are on exactly the right track!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    MNormington,

Just to reinforce what Jason has already said, sounds like you've done your homework....very thorough and well thought out.

I am particulary fond of your adjustment #6!!

Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

UPDATE

Well, I finally settled on a pump / filter combination. I am going with a Hayward Swimclear 225 sq ft cartridge filter that I bought on clearance for $289. I am going to mate that up with a Pentair Whisperflo 1/2 HP of the energy efficient variety. Just waiting for the backyard to thaw out...
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go