Pool installed 2 days ago. BBB help!

Robl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
CT
My pool was installed and filled on Friday. I tested the pH and it was almost 0 so I used the pool calculator and it said to add (7) 182oz jugs of bleach. I added 4 not wanting to over do it. I let the pump run on high for about 2 hours after adding the bleach. This was Target brand 6% if that makes any difference.

Today I tested and I need help. Not sure where to start.
FC: 16
CC: 0
pH: 8.25 (used my Hanna digital pH tester), Taylor pH was almost 8
T/A: 150
CH: 120
CYA: clear so I'm assuming 0?
Temp: 72ºf

What do I adjust first?
I used the TF100 kit to test everything and I'm pretty sure the results are accurate.

Thanks!
Rob

15'x30'x54" AGP - about 13500 gallons.

I think you're entering some incorrect numbers in the Pool Calc. What did you enter for the targets? You can't leave them where they are.
With a high FC your pH test is suspect but your Hanna meter shouldn't have a problem with it.

You need to bring the pH down to about 7.4 and then add some CYA to get to about 30 ppm. If you haven't added any CYA then there isn't any.

With no CYA your FC is high but the sun will take care of that quickly. Half life of chlorine with no CYA is 30 minutes. Walmart has 4 lbs of HTH brand CYA for $15. Put this in a sock in front of a return and squish the sock with your hand every so often. 30 ppm CYA is the minimum you want if you are in a sunny location you can go up to 60 ppm. I am at 80 ppm for my SWCG.

Your PH is high add muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2

Wait to adjust you TA until you see how your PH stabilizes all pools are different with varying amounts of aeration which affects PH. I have the intex SWCG and brought my TA down to 80 for that. PH was always low. For my pool a TA of 120 stabilizes the PH.

Use the pool calculator to make adjustments and keep a pool log so you can keep track of the effects of your adjustments.

Hold on, your pH test is not valid until FC is less than 10 ppm. Test again and if FC is low enough, then you can adjust pH. Don't adjust based on invalid numbers. By now, the FC (chlorine) is probably much less, as BBBliever has said.

Before you add chemicals to the pool, check in here to verify the numbers. Too much of anything is not good.

Is 4lbs of CYA enough?
I changed the pool calc to trouble free pool and was going by the results from that on what to add for bleach. Right now that shows I need 45lbs of CYA? What am I doing wrong on there? Looked easy enough to use!

I have 2lbs if dry acid. Should I add that to lower the pH?

Robl said:
Is 4lbs of CYA enough?
I changed the pool calc to trouble free pool and was going by the results from that on what to add for bleach. Right now that shows I need 45lbs of CYA? What am I doing wrong on there? Looked easy enough to use!

I have 2lbs if dry acid. Should I add that to lower the pH?
I get ~35 ppm for 4 lbs of CYA addition for a pool of 13500 gallons. The calculator shows ounces (weight and volume) not pounds. So 45 weight ounces would be ~25 ppm for you pool. I would push it up a bit higher than that. For a non swg pool, you want 30-50 ppm CYA, so 35-40 ppm would be a good starting point.

You must have put an extra zero in the pool size cell. If I put 135,000 instead of 13,500 I get 45 lbs.
4 lbs will give you a good start.
2 lbs will bring it down some but you'll need to test and adjust again after that. I'd use Muriatic acid from now on.

Bama Rambler said:
You must have put an extra zero in the pool size cell. If I put 135,000 instead of 13,500 I get 45 lbs.

:hammer: That won't happen again! I thought 45lbs of anything going into the pool was too much!

I added the 2lbs of dry acid and I'll have CYA coming later today after my wife gets back from errands. It's raining hard right now and my pool is overflowing.
I still have to dig a trench for the electrical and get the heater going. I'll have pictures soon.

Thanks for the help! I'll be asking for more tomorrow once I add the extra stuff and see how things are settling.

OK Monday I emptied about 3 inches out. Way to much rain. Sun finally came out and the solar cover helped raise the temp up 3º. Getting better!
Test results even though the CYA was put in monday afternoon and tuesday morning.
FC - 1 - going to add according to the pool calc.
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
T/A - 130
CH - 120
CYA - I'm guessing 10 as I filled the tube and it was getting faint. I didn't add all 4 lbs but will add the rest tonight.

What would be my goal settings for the Pool Calc? For now I've left them on the TFP settings.
What's next?

Water does look perfectly clear and the kids almost like swimming in it. After about 10 minutes they start turning blue but at least there's no fight to get them to take a warm bath afterwards.

Does CYA go away? Once I get to the levels I need should I have extra on hand?
Does the solar cover help with FC and the life span in the sun? I know the CYA helps with that but I was just wondering.

Picked up a solar cover reel off craigslist today. $25! Just have to get a handle and new straps for it and adapt it to AGP use until the deck is built next year. Any recommendations for straps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA does not really go away but it will drop as water is splashed out and the pool is refilled with fresh water. It will also drop if you have heavy rains and have to drain off some water. I would retest your CYA and get it dialed in where you want it. I will check my CYA at opening, midyear and closing. I like to keep mine around 50ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.