jandy valve installation

f18fdg

Oct 5, 2007
I would like to install a Jandy valve for the pool and spa inlets however they are placed too close together. So in order to install the valve i would have to introduce some bends and make a big uturn with the pipes (I attached a picture of what i mean). Is introducing too many turns in the pipes bad for water flow into the pump?

Attachments

• Jandy valve.jpg
    Jandy valve.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 277
Each 2" 90 will add the equivalent of about 6' of straight pipe so it really is not as bad as one might think but they do add up. Based upon your configuration, you could replace the first 2 90's on each side with 2 45's and reduce the loss a bit but only if you have the clearance to angle the pipe. I wouldn't worry about it too much and do what you need to make it work.

How many inches apart are the pipes (center to center)?
Can you post a pic of the actual pipe area your working with?
I assume you are working with sch 40 white pvc pipe?
Jandy neverlube valves?
There are ways to do it without all those fittings but I'd need the answers to these questions first.

andy, the pipes are 6.5" apart, is this enough room for a Neverlube valve? I couldn't find the specs for the valves online.
attached is a pic of the pipe area

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 238
I think I know where andy was going with this... you can install the Jandy valve sideways on that pipe that has the old metal valve and go over and 90 down into the other pipe - my gut feeling is that this would lessen the 'head' on the system vs. your original drawing (and you can use the valve to equalize the pressure to the 2 pipes [though that would increase the head a little]) You might be able to use 'street 90s' that slide in ~ flush to the valve, but I think that would be a tight fit.

Good luck with the replumb, we are here to help with it :-D

Just logged on for a sec to see if you'd replied. I have to take the kids to High School Musical concert tonight. I have two simple ways that will minimize head loss. I will either mock them up and take a pic or do up some quick drawings tomorrow.

First pic just using two 45 deg to get the offset. Second pic place a piece of pvc in the oven at 350deg for 5min. take out and put a coupler on each end to maintain the shape, then form to whatever offset you need which in this case I went from 6.5" bottom to 9.5" top which is what you'll need for the valve.

Attachments

• pvc pipe offset pic 001 (Small).jpg
    pvc pipe offset pic 001 (Small).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 196
  • pvc pipe offset pic 002 (Small).jpg
    pvc pipe offset pic 002 (Small).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 196
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.