SWG rough estimates for commercial pool

tphaggerty

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
Poughquag, NY
My son is now on a swim team and I was talking to his coach (he also manages the pool he swims at). The pool is a typical swim team pool in the Northeast, six lanes, 25 yds long (so it would be a 25 x 75 x 6 (approx), about 110,000 to 125,000 gal). He is thinking about putting up solar as he has plenty of roof space, I told him I love mine.

Then we started discussing sanitation. In NY, apparently commercial pools can no longer use CL gas. Most indoor pools like his use Cal-Hypo, which he does. He started to tell me how much he spends a month but we got interrupted. I mentioned that my pool uses a SWG. He thinks that it is WAY too expensive for a commerical pool of his size. With my pool going 30k gallons and my SWG costing 1500 or so to install and almost nothing to run, I can't imagine that even a very robust commercial application using SWG would be prohibitively expensive, either to install or run (unless they had to do lots of retrofit). The initial cost for salt might be high and there might be issues with an older pool's stainless hardware, but the actual SWG cost wouldn't be sky high, would it?

PoolSean, care to comment, I know that you do commercial size installations....

Hi TP,

Salt systems are becoming a more viable option for commercial pools. I just came back from Atlantic City and taught a class on Commercial Salt Chlorination, to 35 commercial dealers new to salt chlorination. I also had 225 dealers the day before, teaching advanced level salt chlorination, and about 125 dealers yesterday, new to any kind of salt chlorination. There was even a Pennsylvania Dept of Health official that attended my class.

The cost for a salt system would depend on the chlorine demand of his pool. AutoPilot uses a proprietary software program that asks for the following information, so if you can get this from your son, I can size it up and get you an estimate on the capital expense of my Pool Pilot system. I need the values for the Worst-case-scenario, so that we would be able to handle the pool under the most extreme conditions. I will also need to know if there is an ORP/pH controller already on site.
1) Pool Volume
2) Peak Number of Bathers (throughout the entire day)
3) Circulation Pump run hours/day
4) Indoor or Outdoor location
5) Are there any water features, fountains, negative edge, water falls, etc...and if so, how many hours per day are they in operation? OR is this a Flat water pool?
6) Peak Water Temperature

Which city is this in? There may be local requirements that I will need to check in to, to see if the Dept of Health has any objections to salt systems.

PM or e-mail me ([email protected]), or have your son contact me at 954-325-3859 (mobile)

Thanks,

A picture of the equipment room will help too.

Six lane pools are usually 40' wide. 75' lon and rectangles.

8' sloping up to 3-1/2 then to 4'.

The ones my daughter swims in are.

~120k qal

4 40k gal cells @ 75% should do it for a long time.

I would expect that an SWG would work for this just fine. They are a scalable solution. More cells = more chlorine produced, so you can basically figure out how much chlorine you need, and calculate how many cells you need. Most cells have a rating on how many gallons of chlorine they can output per day, which is a good place to start. This will of course, vary on how long the pumps run, water temperature, etc..

I'm not really trying to get anything close to an exact quote. I'm looking for a general response to the "it's too expensive to even investigate" argument. I know it can be done, but is it a 25k job or a 125k job (and I know that the answer really is "it depends") but even a rough cost on commerical size/quality equipment would be helpful.

As noted, the pool is more likely 40' wide, 75' long and approx 120k gallons. Indoor. Probably in the low to mid-70s (mainly used for swim teams).

Since he is also considering solar heating, the replumbing costs might be lower.

I haven't had a chance to speak with the pool director since my original post, so if anyone has a ballpark idea, that would be great!

Poolsean - Thats what I was looking for!! THANKS!!

I'm willing to bet he spends 10k or so a year on Cal-Hypo, so that number (and I would assume that it would be double or even triple to install to code in a commercial pool) is really not that bad at all.

I will pass along the numbers. I would love for my son to swim in a salt pool for the swim team, you won't believe how crispy his hair becomes swimming in the Cal-Hypo pool 5 days a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.