Pool is green..can I still convert?

kayday

Aug 13, 2011
We have a 24' round above ground pool. We have been on baquacil for 3 years. This year we was going to convert when we opened it b/c we knew we would not have a lot of money to spend in the pool. Also the pool was green when we opened it b/c our pump went out the end of last year. Well lady at pool store said she wouldn't convert b/c of money. That it would cost about the same. SHE LIED! It cost us about $200 just to get in for the first time of the year. Sorry had to vent. Needless to say it is back green. We want to convert then we will just close it for the winter unless it is still very warm when we get done. I really don't think it will. So wondering if that is the right way of doing it. Should we convert then shut it down or is it best to cover it and open back up next year and convert? Also another pool store is saying when converting to use non-chlorine shock and on here I see people use straight bleach. Can it be done both ways?

Welcome to the forum :lol: You don't say where you live but if you have a month or less of swimming left to do, I would close it down and convert next year instead of now....the conversion usually takes a week but can be longer.

More importantly, you will have to decide who's advice you will take once you make the choice to convert. Bouncing back and forth between pool stores and here is like working for three bosses....all with differing directions. :lol:

I sorry I am in GA. Well the first pool store I will not be taking anymore advise from. The other pool store so far he has seemed to know what he is talking about. But I was wondering if he is right on about converting with non-chlorine shock and tablets b/c I read on here that you can use bleach.

Welcome to TFP!

Converting a baqua pool that is currently green is fine. It just uses a tiny bit more chlorine than converting a clear pool.

Non-chlorine shock works much the same as chlorine for conversions, it just costs more and it is more difficult to measure the level and thus to know when to add more. A conversion uses quite a bit, and I see no point in paying more for it, so I recommend sticking with chlorine. The store is probably only recommending it because they sell non-chlorine shock and probably don't sell liquid chlorine.

Most people choose to convert in the spring, but the difference between converting in the spring vs fall is minimal. Personally, I would rather know the pool is converted and in good shape over the winter. But the only real difference is "knowing", the pool doesn't care.

:cool: First, let me say the people that replyed to you are the "BEST of the BEST of the BEST"..
I live in middle Tn. and here's my experience with the Baquacil changeover.. New pool, used Baquacil for about 3 years, cost alot,
never clear blue.. changed to BBB method.. bought a TF100 water test kit first.. began adding gallons of cheap bleach, Walmart,
Food Lion, probably about 20--35 bottles until pool was crystal clear.. Here's the thing, the chlorine will (KILL) the baquacil and
it will settle on the bottom of your pool.. You have to vaccum it out till your pool has clear water.. BUT, the gunky dead
baquacil that you vaccum to get rid of will mess up the sand in your filter..So plan on changing your filter sand when you are done.. It will look great,, cost less to upkeep.. You will use Bleach, baking soda, '"20 Mule Team Borax",, Muriactic Acid, and stabilizer......... Acid and Stablizer, I get at Lowe's.. everything else,,Walmart..Very inexpensive to upkeep, once I changed over...Hope this helps,,it WILL work,,good luck. :cool:

kayday said:
We have a 24' round above ground pool. We have been on baquacil for 3 years. This year we was going to convert when we opened it b/c we knew we would not have a lot of money to spend in the pool. Also the pool was green when we opened it b/c our pump went out the end of last year. Well lady at pool store said she wouldn't convert b/c of money. That it would cost about the same. SHE LIED! It cost us about $200 just to get in for the first time of the year. Sorry had to vent. Needless to say it is back green. We want to convert then we will just close it for the winter unless it is still very warm when we get done. I really don't think it will. So wondering if that is the right way of doing it. Should we convert then shut it down or is it best to cover it and open back up next year and convert? Also another pool store is saying when converting to use non-chlorine shock and on here I see people use straight bleach. Can it be done both ways?

Hey KayDay,

Welcome to the forum! You've come to a great place and the bleach will do the job. There is post after successful post documenting just that. Let us know how it's going and if we can help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.