Please evaluate my pool design and PB quotes

Hello,
We are planning to start pool build and i was reading alot this forum lately. Lots of awesome info.
I have submitted proposal to four PB builders and getting various quotes from them.
Planning to build 40x20(depends how to measure) double end roman vynil with 9' deep end.
I want builder to build the pool and provide some of the equipment but not everything.
Here is the list PB would do:
1. Build pool(diging,wall, plumbing,liner..)
2. Put sub concrete deck for pavers
3. Bond the pool
4. Hookup equipment to the plumbing.
5. provide deep end SS lader
6. Provide diving board.
7. Pool water, salt and water stabalizing.
8. 2" plumbing, 2 skimmers, 3 returns.
9. Looploc safety cover with sleeve/anchors in the pavers.

I will do:
1. Buy all equipment (Pentair 400K Heater, VS pump, 560sqft catridge filter,easy touch with IC40, two LED lights).
2. I will do all the electrical connections.
3. Will bring sub for stone coping , pavers and retaining walls.
4. Will bring sub for fencing
5. Submitted building permit to township
6. I will bring sub to run the gas line through the basement and heater hookup.
7. Ordered line property marked.
8. I will take care of electrical inspection.

Also i have easy access to the property and excess dirt could be dump 200' feet away.

So far I got two out of four quotes. One is 36K and one is 33K. Both companies were in business for a long time.

Now, 33K does not put main drain the pool ?! Is that an issue? He said it is not needed and 'old' thinking. He puts return line in the deep end.

Are those quotes in line of what I am asking?

Attachments

• design.jpg
    design.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 190
Welcome to TFP!!

As far as I see, it's not a bad plan (I'd put another return in the steps and one in the deep end Roman end - you can run those 2 on a common line - as long as they are plumbed 'parallel' - just a little more circulation in the Roman ends).

I think you're better off with main drains, 9' is deep and you want some flow down there (your surface returns aren't gonna do it). Alternately, you could install a couple of low returns to move the water in the bottom of the pool.

As a final note - I don't see installing the coping nor the liner in either of your lists (it's mildly important :p )

If you want me to tell you where I'd put the other returns, I will (if in the pic "R" is where Mr. $33K would put a return, I'd say that it isn't a good idea - and I'll tell you why, if you want)

Thanks for joining us here :cheers:

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

If you want me to tell you where I'd put the other returns, I will (if in the pic "R" is where Mr. $33K would put a return, I'd say that it isn't a good idea - and I'll tell you why, if you want)

Thanks for joining us here :cheers:
Thank you Waste!
Liner is installed by PB and coping and pavers I will do through another sub.
Please tell me more about returns setup. I have see people do 5+ returns but the PB insisted he does it for 15+ years and did not hear a single complain. He says that bottom return allows for the warm water (during heating) to rise and keep pool temp consistent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.