Twist Lock plugs

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
After some reading tonight, I understand the nature of twist lock plugs, which tend to come on SOME of the pool pumps. With these types of plugs, I assume there comes some additional advantage. However, I wasn't able to really find any information regarding this potential advantage. So, does anyone know why I would want this cord instead of a regular one?

linen said:
It is a code requirement if the pump receptacle is between 6-10 feet from the "permanently installed pool".

Ok. Thanks for the info. So, if the receptacle is less than 6 ft, or more than 10ft. it's not required. Anything inside of that calls for a twist-lock plug? :? Is this a trip hazard thing?

My situation is that the receptacle will be 15-20 feet away from the pool, but the pump will be like 3 ft. away from the receptacle. So I have to ask - does the code assume that the filter/pump will be next to the pool? In other words, should the code rather be stated, "If the pump receptacle is between 6-10 ft. from the pump, a twist lock cord is required." ?

moze229 said:
My situation is that the receptacle will be 15-20 feet away from the pool, but the pump will be like 3 ft. away from the receptacle. So I have to ask - does the code assume that the filter/pump will be next to the pool? In other words, should the code rather be stated, "If the pump receptacle is between 6-10 ft. from the pump, a twist lock cord is required." ?
I believe the code states the cord can be no longer than 3 ft long. The 6-10 feet refers specifically to the distance from the pool to the receptacle. At a distance of greater than 10 feet, you do not have to have twist lock. I am not totally sure about this, but I think if connection can not be made with a 3ft or less cord, the pump must be hardwired, conduit, etc...

moze229 said:
So, if the receptacle is less than 6 ft
Code does not allow for the receptacle to be any closer to the pool than 6 feet.

Again, this is for a permanently installed pool. Also, I am not a code expert, just a diy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.