White Deposit in grout lines next to waterfall

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
I have a white deposit forming in the grout lines only along side the waterfall. This is only happening were there is no standing or flowing water but area is wet from waterfall splash. It is only in grout line and nit on flagstone. It runs down out o grout onto tile.
I cleaned it off one by spraying with diluted muratic. It quickly came back.

What is causing it? Any way to stop it?

Test numbers:
fc: 6
Ph: 7.6 (about to add acid to bring to 7.4)
ta: 60 (to low, I'm going to add baking soda)
ch: 290 (on the hard side but not too high?)
Cya: 60

I should add it looks to me like the deposit is leaching out of grout instead of being deposited by pool water but I'm not certain of that.
a picture here would be great I'll try to pst one later today.

efflorescence - just tried that in google can got responses that make more sense.
That is whats going on here...... now what to do about it? Sealing is the best option;

Any suggestions on what sealer to use on the grout and flagstone. I guess the same stuff people with salt water pools use?

Any suggestions on what sealer to use on the grout and flagstone.
Whatever type sealer you use, it may or may not work. It is difficult to get it to stop since it is coming from behind the grout and will typically lift or or "push out" sealer. That said, it is about your only option so give it a try. Home depot sells an expensive grout sealer who's name I can't remember but comes in a dark green plastic bottle.

You could just clean it off with acid and see if it continues but I think I would celan it and then seal it and cross my fingers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.