New home owner that has never owned a pool.

b3dw23,

This is probably just a confusion on terminology, but the pool returns are where clean filtered water gets injected back into your pool. They are usually small openings (called jets) on the walls of the pool and have adjustable "eyes" that let you adjust the angle the water leaves the opening. The pump does not suck water in from these openings.

The pump is sucking in water from either your pool cleaner connection or the skimmer or both depending on your pump input valve handle position. You may have found a position that blocks both inputs and stops the flow to the pump. Do not run the pump in this position as it can damage the pump/impeller from no water flow. I would expect the pump to be making a very non normal sound when this is occurring. There would be no flow from the jets back into the pool when this is happening. You should be able to find a position where it is drawing in water from both pipes (pool cleaner and skimmer). This is what I suggested you try to find and use if the pool cleaner is still moving around normally. If not, then you may have to use only skimmer or only pool cleaner at a time. Maybe you adjust valve to only run pool cleaner one day and then only use skimmer the next day. You would have to manually move the valve each day to change the cleaning source mode.

I also noticed in one of your photos the floating chlorinator. The previous owner may have been using trichlor tabs to add chlorine to the pool. This may have also raised your CYA (cyanuric acid also known as stabilizer) to levels higher than you would want. When you get your test kit you definitely want to do the CYA test and post results.

hope this helps.

b3dw23 said:
OK here are the pictures:

IMAG0035.jpg

Steps look really stained

IMAG0052.jpg

The Deep end

IMAG0060.jpg

Another shot of the deep end

IMAG0069.jpg

This is the pool timer which apears to be broken... only the on/off switch works now

IMAG0061.jpg

Pump overall pic

IMAG0081.jpg

Another pump shot

IMAG0136.jpg

Here the pump motor... not sure of its output or anything else.

IMAG0186.jpg

This is the adjustment thing at the top of the pump, not sure what all the setting are for. Can't read most honestly.

IMAG0229.jpg

This adjustment comes right after the pump "basket" and seems to have two settings but neither did anything I could notice in the pool. While sliding from one direction to the other though, I noticed the jets in the pull stopped.

Hey guys, when I run the pump the PVC backwash pipe always drains, whether I'm running the filter or just circulating the water. This makes it very hard for me to run the pump over night as I'm afraid that the pool will run too low for the pump.

Any ideas why this is?

Sounds like there may be a problem with the flow valve on top of the filter. how much flow comes out? lots or just a trickle?
Is the amount different between filter and recirculate?

I would disassemble it and inspect (with the pump off of course). If you are not mechanically inclined, it might be time to call in a pool repair service guy to look at it.

I do not know if there could be a problem internal to the filter that could also cause this?

Could be a bad spider gasket in the multiport valve, or a weak hold down spring. Make sure the the valve is set directly on filter (in the groove) and the it is not hung up (push up on the handle). Moving the valve to another position and back (with the pump off) may help re-seat it.

I'm late to this party and didn't read every post but from the pictures the multiport valve is in the recirc position and should noramlly be in the filter position.
Your timer is either set to run 23 hours of be off for 23 hours (I don't remember which way the dial turns).
The leaking is caused by the spider gasket. It's fairly easy to replace if your handy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.