Flies in Pool please help

Aug 10, 2011
Hello All,
A little info about myself and the pool, live in Chicago land area. I bought an AG pool 12 X 24, 52” inch depth. Doughboy pool. Water has been clear and no algae or other problems. The water is tested weekly at a pool store in town for free. I have the test strips everything shows up ok. The chlorine is about 1ppm. I have been using an inline chlorinator set to full and still cannot the level about that, any ideas? Also, should the chlorinator be installed high in the system or low in the system, mine is installed after the pool heater with back flow preventer. On the ground does or it have to be higher than the rest of the system.
Been lurking around for about a month read the Pool Guide, great information in there. I how ever have run into quite an issue that I hope some can help me with. I have had AG pool installed for approximately 3 months and just within the last two weeks I have began to see an enormous amount of flies in the pool and in the skimmer basket. I have been taking at least 400 to 500 a day out of the water with the basket and another 100 or so out of the skimmer basket. I have my water tested weekly at a local pool store and they claim everything is ok. After reading this site I will be purchasing a kit myself to perform the tests. The only change I mad was to add algaecide to the water. My neighbors both owning pools believe I have added to much and this might be the cause of my problems.

My other questions arise from installation of the Heater and the sand filter. I had it done by the same gentle the installed the pool. He used 1.5” PVC piping everywhere from the skimmer thru the heater and back to the return line. Is this correct? An issue? My pool filter is installed before my heater and is that correct?

Last but now least thank you in advance for reading my article and any information provided would be great.

Welcome to TFP! You need to get the right test kit ASAP. Post the results of your pool store test to help in the mean time. You may be low on CYA but don't add any till you post the results here as the only way to lower it is to replace water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.