Issue when turning off pump...water shoots out skimmer

Jul 25, 2011
Huntsville, AL
According to my pressure gauge on my filter I don't need to backwash. However, the last time I shut off my pump water shot out of skimmer and caused the skimmer cover to fly off and the basket was no longer sitting flush. Any idea what the cause may be?

I agree with zea#, You have air trapped inside your filter. What you will need to do if the air persists is to trace down the air leak. It is on the suction side of your system. The pump is sucking in air and forcing it in to the top of the filter and building up pressure. When the pump is turned off, the compressed air in the filter forces the water back through the system and out the skimmer

If you have no relief valve, is air coming out of the returns...pump running?

I typed a big long post for this and wouldn't you know it. My wireless modem died! :hammer:

Anyway, I agree that you are getting air in the system.

Check the skimmer weir to make sure it operates freely.
Check the water level to make sure it's about 3/4ths the way up the skimmer face.
Check, clean and lube the pump basket o-ring and sealing surface.
Check and reseal the pump basket drain plug(s). There may be more than one.

duraleigh said:
I agree with zea#, You have air trapped inside your filter. What you will need to do if the air persists is to trace down the air leak. It is on the suction side of your system. The pump is sucking in air and forcing it in to the top of the filter and building up pressure. When the pump is turned off, the compressed air in the filter forces the water back through the system and out the skimmer

If you have no relief valve, is air coming out of the returns...pump running?

I haven't seen any bubbles. That said I have my return eyeballs pointed up so I'll try pointing them straight to see if I see any bubbles.

Bama Rambler said:
I typed a big long post for this and wouldn't you know it. My wireless modem died! :hammer:

Anyway, I agree that you are getting air in the system.

Check the skimmer weir to make sure it operates freely.
Check the water level to make sure it's about 3/4ths the way up the skimmer face.
Check, clean and lube the pump basket o-ring and sealing surface.
Check and reseal the pump basket drain plug(s). There may be more than one.

My skimmer doens't have a weir. The water level is about 1/2 up the skimmer. What should I lube the pump basket o-ring with? Also, what should I reseal the pump basket drain plug with.

Start by looking in your skimmer when the pump is running and see if it's creating a vortex sucking in air once in a while. You may have to watch it a while before you see any.

Then clean the pump basket o-ring and sealing surface and lube the o-ring with silicon pool lube. Jacks is a good one but whatever the pool store has will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.