Channel Drain covered in shotcrete?

Jul 25, 2011
When the contractor's shot the pool they covered the channel drain with shotcrete. You can see the outline of the drain, but it is completely covered. Is this normal? Also if you have an in floor cleaning system(PV3), do you need wall returns as well? Pictures posted soon.

This is how the channel drain looks currently after being sprayed over with shotcrete. Also there are no returns only the in floor system.

Attachments

• DSCN1024.jpg
    DSCN1024.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN1029.jpg
    DSCN1029.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 233
Mine looked pretty much the same after shotcrete (gunite in my case) but it turned out all right. Apparently there's a built-in cover that's removed at plastering. See pics at http://gallery.me.com/kellysean1#100034

My pool has an in-floor system but also two returns for the two skimmers. I'm no expert but having both top & bottom cleaning systems is probably a good thing.

My personal opinion is that I'd have them add at least 2 wall returns. Now's the time to do it, rather than wishing later that you'd had them. All they have to do at this stage of the game is knock a couple of holes in the walls. It's a whole nuther ball game later.

XsAllOverIt said:
nutjob,

Wish I would have seen your pool before I started mine. I would have stole some ideas. What a BEAUTIFUL pool. It certainly did work out!!!
Awww, you know how to make a guy blush! :oops: :-D

(Kahunawahoo: keep us posted on the progress.)

nutjob said:
... My pool has an in-floor system but also two returns for the two skimmers. I'm no expert but having both top & bottom cleaning systems is probably a good thing.
Bama Rambler said:
My personal opinion is that I'd have them add at least 2 wall returns....
My only 3 returns are in the floor (and they're not even an in-floor cleaning system) with a main drain and 2 skimmers. I've never even considered, in 15 years of owning this pool, that a couple of wall returns would improve anything.

I'm sure Nutjob & Bama have legit reasons for their opinions. I'm no expert, just another country heard from.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses, drain was protected with a cover and seems to be a non-issue now. Glad to hear others with in floor cleaning systems don't necessarily have wall returns too. The pool seems to be coming along, albeit slowly. Here are some recent shots of the tile going in.

Attachments

• DSCN1046.jpg
    DSCN1046.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN1047.jpg
    DSCN1047.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN1048.jpg
    DSCN1048.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 136

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.