Tried to "deep clean" my sand filter -- failed miserably

Aug 3, 2011
I searched and searched, and couldn't find any topics dedicated to how to deep clean your sand filter. Though I found some off-hand discussions in other threads.

It seems I skipped a step somewhere... maybe someone can help me out.

I unscrewed the top of my sand filter. I placed in my water hose and began the 'deep cleaning'. All well and good so far.

But the dirty water never over-flowed from the top of the sand filter ------- because it was going back into my pool thru the returns!! I could hear the water moving thru pipes, so I ran to the pool and confirmed water coming out of the returns. Yikes. Now instead of my sparkling pool, its just a tad bit cloudy. :grrrr:

Anyway --- where did I skip a step? How do I stop the flow of water to the pool? Even if I put it in 'backwash' mode, the water still dribbles down the backwash tube instead of really coming out of the top of the filter. Am I missing something that's painfully obvious, and I'll be embarrassed for life for missing?

I could be wrong, but the "recirculate" setting should isolate the sand filter from the rest of your plumbing or you can just shut off the return line valves, if you have them in your plumbing set-up

The red valve on the left is my 'mystery valve' --- though maybe it cuts off the returns. Since the red valve on the right is for the aerator, the middle pipe doesn't have a valve because it probably goes to the waterfall, and the (similar looking, red) valve is located over there... making the red valve on the left the one to close off the returns.

That's my best guess... but I can't get that Dang thing to turn. I'm a big guy, 6'4 and 240lbs... I should be able to handle this, lol

Those gate valves get really stuck sometimes and require a little persuasion (i.e. large pair of pliers) to get them to move. Try to close it a little before trying to open it. Sometimes that works to free it.

Since I dont' see a check valve you also need to close the 3-way on the suction of the pump.

Ah nuts --- How do I close off the 3-way? It only goes from skimmer to vac-line... no 'off' type function. I guess I could technically go to the vac-line and keep the vac-hole (that sounds funny) closed in the pool (that has a little door that covers the vac-line).

Hrmmm... the handle moving clockwise between 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock just varies power from vacuum and skimmer line. That's all I can do with the handle. At no point does it seem to shut off water flow from the pool. I tried it at 6 o'clock just to see, and the returns were going strong.

BTW... is it normal that I must have the 'power' set to about 85-90% vacuum line vs 10% skimmer to have the Hayward vac to move around at a decent pace?

You have to put the handle in the 6 oclock position (standing looking toward the wall), without the pump on, to shut the flow off. If it doesn't shut it off you probably need to rebuild the valve.

If by power, you mean valve, then yes, it's normal to have to have almost all the suction coming from the vac to get it to operate correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry --- must have been getting tired last night... The handle doesn't move to the 6 o'clock position. The 'selector' does.

The handle itself only moves between roughly 9 and 3, if you're going in a clockwise motion. So I should be able to move it to the 6 o'clock position as well? It definitely feels like it hits a 'stopper' or something when it hits those spots, so it doesn't easily go any further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.