Backwash Hose for Intex Sand Filter

Jun 19, 2011
What does everyone use for a backwash hose on the Intex 2650 Sand Filter? I'm using a intex hose that is usually used to connect to the return and it's just not long enough. I need something closer to 15-20 feet long. Suggestions?

I hooked up a 1 1/4 adapter to the drain and attatched the hose that I use to vacume with, you know that long cheep vacume hose that comes with the pool kit, I have a extra one that I hook to the intake valve in the pool and drain the pool that way

here is what i did for the hose
1. old supply hose with fitting
2. 1 inch pcv pipe about 4 to 6 inches long
3. 1inch to 1 1/2 inch coupler pvc
4. 1/12 x 1/12 inch rubber coupler with clamps

I first cut off the hose flush with the end of the fitting
Inserted 1 inch pcv pipe into the end of the vacume hose and put a screw clamp around that end
The other end of the pipe was glued to the 1 inch x 1 1/2 inch coupler
I then used the 1 1/2 x 1/12 rubber coupler with clamps to join the vacume hose assembly to the fitting that screws onto the drain port of the pump

that was it...

Attachments

• 2012-05-31 14.58.01 (640x480).jpg
    2012-05-31 14.58.01 (640x480).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • 2012-05-31 14.59.14 (640x480).jpg
    2012-05-31 14.59.14 (640x480).jpg
    146 KB · Views: 818
  • 2012-05-31 15.01.12 (640x480).jpg
    2012-05-31 15.01.12 (640x480).jpg
    161 KB · Views: 804
Greetings,

The idea I had was to screw-on the vacuum hose adapter to the outlet portion of the Intex 2650 GPH Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump, and then attach the vacuum hose to it with a stainless steel hose clamp. I then run the hose to the corner of my house, remove the elbow on the gutter downspout, and stick the hose down the hole making sure someone holds the hose in place. I did this when I siphoned the water out of the pool at the end of the season. There's no flooded yard this way. :)

My question is, will the "hose adapter" fit and/or screw onto the outlet part of the pump?

I'm going to be purchasing the above pump in the near future, and want to be sure I'm able to back flush the pump and/or vacuum to waste without encountering any hose connection issues. And keep my yard from becoming a small pond.

Richrd42 said:
...will the "hose adapter" fit and/or screw onto the outlet part of the pump?

I'm going to be purchasing the above pump in the near future, and want to be sure I'm able to back flush the pump and/or vacuum to waste without encountering any hose connection issues.
Making an Intex-to-1 1/2" PVC Converter is pretty easy. You'll need:
  • -Threaded Intex collar - 2 on each end of the stock Intex flexible hoses as well as the Intex plunger valves (plunger valves use a 2-piece version.) If you don't have the option of cannibalizing those, you can get them pretty cheap online. I found 2 hoses (4 collars) for <$30 - Google is your friend.
    -1 1/2" PVC Adapter - Also called "1 1/2 in. box adaptor". I picked mine up at Lowe's - Item#49111 (Carlon Model#E996HR or Cantex Model#L5133719) Home Depot also has them, but they had 4 nubs on the outer edge which would need to be ground/cut off.
    -1 1/2" PVC fittings - Either a Slip Coupling or Slip Elbow, depending on how you want things plumbed.

You're going to sandwich the threaded collar between the pvc adapter & PVC fitting. Slide the pvc adapter through the threaded-side of the collar, apply primer & cement to pvc adapter & fitting, press them together until the pvc adapter is fully-seated in the fitting. On my first try, I was concerned "bottoming-out" the pvc adapter would prevent the collar from rotating freely, but I've made 4 the same way and all collars have plenty of room to turn. You then have a ton of options for connecting backwash hose.

Image below...
  • 1. 2-piece collar fully-assembled on 90 degree elbow.
    2. PVC adapter loosely inserted just to show what it looks like w/out the collar in place.
    3. 2-piece collar fully-assembled with slip coupling & 90 degree elbow. (This is so I could go straight down from the elbow and clear the tank.)
IntexAdapters.jpg

And here's my Intex 2650 & SWG plumbed w/ PVC...
IntexPlumbed.jpg

HTH!
-SAB

Reactions: cknudten
Thank you for showing those pictures. I think I now know why mine is leaking. I have too much space between the adapter and collar it looks like.

Attachments

• 2012-06-15_20-08-23_269.jpg
    2012-06-15_20-08-23_269.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 648

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Saboyce, that's a slick system, but it doesn't address my backwash hose question.

[attachment=1:1bmhvw76]intex pump 2.jpg[/attachment:1bmhvw76]

The red circle indicates the location of the backwash port. I'm wanting to know where I can get a long hose to screw onto it when I back-flush and/or vacuum to waste. Intex sells a 29' hose, but I don't know if the female threaded couplers are 2". This would be ideal if it were so.

[attachment=0:1bmhvw76]intex pump 4.jpg[/attachment:1bmhvw76]

Attachments

• intex pump 2.jpg
    intex pump 2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 622
  • intex pump 4.jpg
    intex pump 4.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 623
I have the same Sand filter, I p/u a 2" flat backwash hose from the pool store, and have it connected to the port you have circled in red with a hose clamp. I p/u about 30' of the flat hose so I can run it out of the yard towards a draining ditch.

Oh, ok Limey. I think I'll just go that route. My gutter drain is only 15 or 20 feet away on the corner of my house, and I'll just stick the hose down the drain pipe and let the water drain down the road to the sewer when I back-flush.

Thanks for all the reply's. They've been helpful.

Rich

I use an Intex hose that came with the 1500 gph pump and purchased a 2" backwash hose from Lowes. The backwash hose slides over the Intex hose and actually creates a tight fit without a hose clamp. The Intex hose gives me the angle I needed for my water to run without kinking up my backwash hose.

Richrd42 said:
I'm wanting to know where I can get a long hose to screw onto it when I back-flush and/or vacuum to waste. Intex sells a 29' hose...
I imagine the 29' from Intex will work just fine. I went the converter route to minimize clamps, have lots of hose options for backwash and b/c I like to huff PVC cement. :)

-SAB

wwhite0310 said:
Thank you for showing those pictures. I think I now know why mine is leaking. I have too much space between the adapter and collar it looks like.
No problem. You do have the rubber grommet between the adapter and filter/pump, right? If so, it's Either too much space or not enough cement. I use the blue Oatey PVC cement made for pool plumbing liberally. Also, after I seat the adapter, I turn the collar for about 30 seconds so it doesn't get glued in place. I may have an extra converter if you don't have any more collars on hand. Lemme know.

-SAB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.