Spa size?

CARSON

Mar 29, 2011
Hello everyone! I will be building a new pool and spa soon (my first pool) and am trying to find out what size to build the spa. The shape will be oval, I think a 6 person spa will suit my needs but will consider an 8 person one also. What should the size be for an oval shaped spa for 6 or 8 people? I would like to have the spa raised some and am curious what height is good. Thank you for all of your input.

I haven't got a clue how they determine that....I just hope the designer isn't someone who also figures out how big to make airplane seats!

My spa is 7' diameter, and 2 is great. 4 would be fine, 5 wouldn't be too bad. I doubt 6 will be comfortable, if that's any help. My spa is level with the deck, but the spillway is about 4" above the normal pool level.

You are smart going with an oval. I did a round barrel shaped spa and there is not enough room for people's legs/feet.
One thing to consider for the height of your spa is that a bench height is 18". So the coping on my spa is raised 18" off of the surrounding decking. That results
in a little over 2 ft. drop to the level of water in the pool (for the waterfall).

Here is a picture so you can see what I mean - there is a step down on the left side of the spa, that's why it looks uneven from this angle, but the 18" height goes around virtually the entire circumference of the spa.

722a-1.jpg

My spa is a square 7 x 7 with benches on all four sides and two jets on each of three of the walls. The square shape gives plenty of room for six. If the opposite wall were much closer the leg well would become a bit crowded. An oval shape to work as well would need to be something near 6 x 8, (that is of course based on the SWAG estimating method).

Thanks for the replies, they give me a better idea on what size I need to have. The only thing now is the shape, I was planning on oval but was told that a round shape would be more spacious. I think 6' x 8' for oval will do or about 7'6" diameter for round maybe. Decisions decisions...

Im no expert, but always go as big as possible with a spa. The "comfortably seats x people" is great when everyone sits with their legs in and their hands on their laps. But people like to spread out and relax... They never seem big enough.

I love my spa, but I wish it was a bit bigger. It has 3 seats and a bench. 3 or 4 people are ok but it gets cramped unless everyone just sits like they are on a train.

Also keep in mind spas have a tendency to push people together because of the jets. LOL. You sort of migrate to the middle. So go big :)

My pool guy who installed the spa (who I consider a genius) told me to keep the height no more than a foot above the pool level. At the time he had a few reasons why which I recall making sense, but I dont remember any of them. :) Mine is probably raised about 9" to 10". It seems great. But Combatyoga seems to be very happy as well and its much higher so who knows :)

DSC00555-1.jpg

Mine is 8' circular. We can get 6 in very comfortably and 8 in REAL comfortably. You tend to use it much more when cool and much less in the summer. I wouldn't have minded getting a 10' circular so you can float in the middle during the winter and stay completely submerged. The bigger it is though, the more challenge you will have with the cover for the winter. I can man-handle my cover at 8' since it's in 3 sections.

Hey Mitch,

The 12" drop from spa to water level is probably for a sheer descent. My waterfall is actually a cascade down a sloped face with drystack on it.
I neglected to mention (though maybe it is obvious) - the reason for the bench height for the spa coping is so that people can sit comfortably on the edge of the spa
facing outward.
I'm thinking 8' is a good diameter (mine is smaller than that - too small actually).

Keep in mind also that bigger = more $$ to heat it. An 8-foot round spa contains almost twice as much water as a 6-foot, so it will take almost twice as much gas and twice as much time to heat.

My parents' spa is 6' and we've packed 10 people into it (albeit somewhat tightly). I wouldn't hesitate to get 6'.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone! I think mine will be oval, 8' x 6'6". I want it to be comfortable for as many as possible but construction costs and heating cost are a major factor also. I just wonder how many new friends I will have when the pool and spa are up and running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.