Switching from Permasalt to BBB - need help!

j_dog

Aug 9, 2011
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm a newbie - just bought a house that has a permasalt system and I plan to switch to BBB. My question is, what do I do with the permasalt ionizer? Will unplugging it turn it off and stop it from putting copper into my pool? Thanks for your help ... this site is such a great source of info!

Thank you. I turned the permasalt thing to Off and shocked the pool with the left over powdered chlorine I got on the last visit to the pool shop. I had good chlorine levels before bed and hardly any in the morning. I picked up 4 jugs of bleach today and plan to shock again tomorrow. Pool looks pretty clear.

I do not believe you do, but if I'm wrong someone will correct me. I see your post has been here for a while without answer, so bump...

Getting a handle on the CC issue with shocking would be my first priority. A little CYA (20-30ppm) will make the shocking process cheaper and more effective, yes add it now.

Here's how I would begin shocking in this situation (assuming HTH CYA, as it dissolves pretty fast. Pool store CYA is reported here to be less soluble). Squish the sock after a few minutes of soaking and raise FC to shock level for around 5ppm CYA to start. In an hour or so after squishing the sock take a FC reading and up FC to CYA shock level of ~10ppm and maintain that for a few hours while you squish the sock. Repeat, repeat, repeat... Raise the FC shock level in relation to how much CYA is left in the sock after squishing all day. Once it's gone from the sock assume it's in the pool and maintain shock level for the full CYA you intended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.