Forced to log in twice

TarheelPool

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Burlington, NC
When I click on login from the home page and enter my userid and password it just takes me back to the home page without logging me in. So I click on login again and the second time around it logs me in. The only problem is that it resets my "post since last visit" to 0 because evidently it is somehow recognizing the first failed login attempt as my last visit. So the result is I just have to scroll the the forum for recent posts which is VERY frustrating. This has been going on for 3-4 days and happens regardless of which login method I use, the one on the home page or the link to the login page. I have tried deleting cookies but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

I'm unable to duplicate the problem. When I sign in from the homepage it logs me in normally.

I can't find anything particular in your individual settings that would cause this.

Is that happening to anyone else - just trying to find a common factor.

What browser are you two using?

It looks like you also need to delete your temporary internet files, passwords, in addition to clearing your cookies. I have been having the same problem for several days. I just cleared everything and was able to log in the first time and the post counter showed (2) where it had been zero each time before.

This same thing happened to me until yesterday. I stopped clearing the cache, cookies, passwords, etc because it was a pain to do that every time. But today, it seems to be working fine and I haven't done anything :? . I use IE7 and Firefox.
Thanks,

I have occasionally run into this same problem, but I haven't noticed if it was fixed when I emptied the cache and deleted cookies or not. I will pay attention next time it happens.

Using straight ole IE7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This may be out in left field but I thought I would pass this along. I had this problem at first on my home computer. However, I had forgotten to "uninstall" the old toolbar. After I uninstalled, cleared out my temp IE files and deleted my cookies, I was good to go. I have IE6 on my machines. Keep us posted.

I didn't have the toolbar installed but I did clear the cookies and temp files and it didn't help.

I usually stay logged into the site through the day so the "posts since last visits" gradually grows as people post but the problem is when I log in in the morning the ability to easily view all the posts from the night before are lost by the login issue.

I'm not sure what else to try. I've never had the problem at any other site or here before the changeover so it just makes me wonder if it's something with the forum software as opposed to something on the user end. I'm sure Sean is investigating so I guess, short of any other suggestions to try on my end, I'll wait and see if he can uncover the problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

I'm kind of at a loss. It's not effecting all, or even most users so I don't think it is with the software. We are using the most recent stable version of phpbb.

I think it has to do with the downtime and cookies needing to be cleared out since the update.

That's really my only suggestion - to clear all history and maybe reboot and see if that solves the problem.

If we can put our finger on a common factor I'll try to research further.

Tarheel,

It sounds like the logging twice issue has been resolved. Furthermore it sounds as if, the way I am understanding, when you log in in the morning, you show "NO" new posts... either in the login main page or on the forum (no highlighted categories). I will test that this evening. I will log off at work and re-login at home to see what changes, etc. Futhermore, I will try to do the same thing again on my home computer in the morning. More to follow after testing.

OK, OK,

Sean, I am experiencing what I think Tarheel is talking about. I had to wait until someone made a post to try this out. I logged out for 10-15 minutes. Even though I know new posts were made (Sevver in MOD) I logged in and the Main screen showed no new posts. Also, once I entered the forum, no categories were highlighted.... therefore even though new posts had been made, those new posts are not showing up on the radar. Hope that helps the explanation. Tarheel, please correct me if I am wrong.

As another piece of info, I tried to go to the forum page first and login from there, and it kicks me back to the main page without logging me in. :?

I was having the same issues as JohnT describes. No matter where I logged in from it kicked me back to the home page without logging me in. It always logged me in on the second attempt but the "post since last visit" was 0 when I knew there were posts since I logged in last because it was usually the day before since my last login.

However, today I was able to login on the first attempt. I don't know how or why. I've cleared temp files, cookies, and rebooted several times over before now so I'm pretty clueless why it suddenly worked today. I think I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last night at home, I tried to log in and got kicked back to the main page. As I started to log in, I looked down at the line that shows users online and I was listed. ????? Today, I logged in and all was well. I could see new posts etc., but when I tried to post, it asked me to log in. ?????

I am working on it. I have found a few issues with file ownership and link pointers. I fixed a few so far but it is a slow process to check every file. I think I may have found the back to the home page after login issue if not let me know.
Please be patent while we get these issues fixed. The php code with the mods is very complex and nearly too much for me to understand. :hammer:
Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.