Forced to log in twice

medvampire said:
I am working on it. I have found a few issues with file ownership and link pointers. I fixed a few so far but it is a slow process to check every file. I think I may have found the back to the home page after login issue if not let me know.
Please be patent while we get these issues fixed. The php code with the mods is very complex and nearly too much for me to understand. :hammer:
Steve

I'm not impatient, I just figure that the more you know about who's having trouble and when, the easier it will be to figure out the problem. If you have any thing for me to try, let me know and I'll try logging in and let you know how it works.

John

I also saw my username at the bottom as if I was logged in but the "Log In" link at the top indicated that I wasn't and the option to view posts since last visit wasn't visible. I think this has something to do with why, once I was able to log in on the second attempt, the "view posts since last visit" was 0. It's like the site is recognizing the first attempt as a login but not executing all the code that goes along with a login. So when you login the second time, the system recognizes it as a subsequent login from the first failed attempt and resets the post counter to 0.

JohnT said:
I'm not impatient, I just figure that the more you know about who's having trouble and when, the easier it will be to figure out the problem. If you have any thing for me to try, let me know and I'll try logging in and let you know how it works.

John
Thanks for the info...The more I know the better it is for me to find the problem...and I know you werent being impatient its just the mouse screaming at me :lol:
For now try this...Log in at the top "Log in to check your private messages". You should have to only log in once and the new post info should work. I think this work around should work for now.
Steve

You are probably having 'www.' issues.

Caution - techie babble follows!

You have to realize that www.troublefreepool.com and troublefreepool.com are two separate entities. They look the same, they are used interchangeably, but they are different.
Your login is saved in what is called a 'session', which exists on the server and holds all the information associated with your current login. The identifier of the session is stored in a cookie in your browser - it is called 'troublefreepool_sid' and is a long series of characters like '15994cff54e86a1b6be3ed9cc146a97a'
This cookie belongs to the domain - troublefreepool.com
There is another one that belongs to www.troublefreepool.com, and while the name is the same, the identifier characters are different.

All well and good, but here's where your problem comes in... when you log into www.troublefreepool.com, it processes your login and sends you to troublefreepool.com (note the lack of 'www.') There, at this other domain, your login has not yet been processed, and you are forced to repeat the process.

Whew! Techie spew over - solution follows...

If you remove the 'www.' from your bookmark, and start at 'troublefreepool.com', your problem should go away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohm_Boy said:

If you remove the 'www.' from your bookmark, and start at 'troublefreepool.com', your problem should go away.

Thanks Ohm-Boy that fixed the problem. All now works well at both www.troublefreepool.com and troublefreepool.com regardless which one I use to start including a bookmarked favorite. I'm sure SeanB and all will be glad to know the problem is not on the server end. Thanks again.

I'm sure SeanB and all will be glad to know the problem is not on the server end.

Ummm... wellllll, ....you see.... technically, it IS on the server end. Ok, it's best fixed at the DNS level, or maybe the Apache configuration, but still...
I gave you a work-around, but the server gang will fix their side of it too, and then none of it will matter anymore.

It's all good. :-D

Took a look and the DNS servers are set correctly as well as server subdomains. I think there is a problem in one of the mods installed in the forum software. For now use Ohm_Boy's work around...

Kudos for the work around Ohm_Boy :goodjob:
Steve

Ohm_Boy said:

Caution - techie babble follows!

You have to realize that www.troublefreepool.com and troublefreepool.com are two separate entities. They look the same, they are used interchangeably, but they are different.
Your login is saved in what is called a 'session', which exists on the server and holds all the information associated with your current login. The identifier of the session is stored in a cookie in your browser - it is called 'troublefreepool_sid' and is a long series of characters like '15994cff54e86a1b6be3ed9cc146a97a'
This cookie belongs to the domain - troublefreepool.com
There is another one that belongs to www.troublefreepool.com, and while the name is the same, the identifier characters are different.

All well and good, but here's where your problem comes in... when you log into www.troublefreepool.com, it processes your login and sends you to troublefreepool.com (note the lack of 'www.') There, at this other domain, your login has not yet been processed, and you are forced to repeat the process.

Whew! Techie spew over - solution follows...

Yeah, it's probably somewhere that SHOULD use '_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]', but likely has something hard-coded instead.
Might be able to get by with a ReWrite rule in the Apache config file, like:
Code:
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.$   [NC]
        RewriteRule (.*) http://troublefreepool.com$1 [R,L]

But yeah, in the meantime, just point your bookmarks and favorites to :

http://troublefreepool.com

and you should be OK.

Ohm_Boy said:
Yeah, it's probably somewhere that SHOULD use '_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]', but likely has something hard-coded instead.
Might be able to get by with a ReWrite rule in the Apache config file, like:
Code:
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.$   [NC]
        RewriteRule (.*) http://troublefreepool.com$1 [R,L]

But yeah, in the meantime, just point your bookmarks and favorites to :

http://troublefreepool.com

and you should be OK.
We don't have access to httpd.conf. I know I can put server directivies in other files but I am not going in to any more detail than that due to security issues.
Thanks again Ohm_Boy
Steve

I have the same problem. I figured a work around... when I get kicked back to the login page, instead of logging in again and seeing (0) new posts... after the kick back to login, I then go to the left and click forums then click home... It then shows however many NEW posts are posted... I DID get logged in before the return to login again, it just wasn't registered somehow... but when going to the homepage in a roundabout way I find that I am now logged in and can view NEW posts.

I'm using vista and firefox 2.0.0.3

DCB,

I was finally able to fix my issues. Now, I am still running on IE 6 but the same principles should hold true. This is what I did. Make sure all other programs except IE are closed. Go in and clear out your Cache ( including History, Cookies, Temp Internet File). You can do that by clicking on Tools (top menu bar), Internet Options. Once everything is cleared, click OK and then exit IE. Now shut down your computer and restart. Once it is restarted, open up IE, click on the address bar and type in (as it appears):

www.troublefreepool.com

Log yourself in:
type in login/ password and click on "remember me."

Now, if we did everything right, the main page should pop up showing you logged in. If it does, Save that link into your favorites:
click on favorites, click on +add, click OK (this just created a shortcut to TFP (logged in)). If that worked out OK, right click on the new shortcut you just created and left click on "Send To - Desktop". Now you have a shortcut on your desktop that will take you right to TFP (logged in).

Try it out and let us know if it works. Good Luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.