Aqua Trol SWG suddenly stopped working overnight

Aug 9, 2011
Purchased the unit for my above ground pool a year ago. Everything has worked pretty much trouble free for the remainder of last years season & the beginning of this year till this past week. Upon daily checking on pump, chemistry & swg unit I noticed the automated timer had not turned on the pump & there were no LEDs lit or any display showing on the Aqua Trol unit. First unplugged the unit & the pump from the unit. Checked my breakers and none had been tripped. So I plugged the pump into the power supply separately, it turned on fine. No problems there. Took off T-cell to check it over & clean it out and reinstalled it. No leds or display still. Got my manual, checked the troubleshooting area and removed the cover to check the fuse. It was fine but went ahead and replaced it anyway. Still no display or LED's. Can hear unit click when plugging in and a slight hum in the box as if power is supplying it somewhere. Checked over the viewable side of the boards and there does not appear to be any broken soldering, cracked items, burn marks, or shorted out spots. (Haven't removed anything to see back.) Checked cord going in and it appears to be getting power but nothing seems to be passing through to pump plug in or readouts. Was wondering where to go from here. Thinking possibly a relay on the board itself or possibly the transformer up in the corner may be the problem but not sure. Hoping someone may have any ideas on where to start. Hate to have to buy a whole new unit since it's only a 1 1/2 years old. Since I live in a rural area I highly doubt a technician will come out to do any repairs and if so it will probably cost more than the unit did itself. I have been down that route with both a refrigerator & a spa. So far the pool is staying clear & stable but would like to get this problem solved without having to go and purchase chlorine. Any ideas?

If it hasn't been generating you're already past the needing to go out and get chlorine. You should have already done that!

Your problem is most likely the power section. I'd contact the mfg and see what they may do for you.

I would for sure do as Dave says and check the warranty on it. I have seen things indicating anywhere from 1 to 3 yr warranty. On some brands the older it gets you have to pay part of the price. I would be very disappointed if I didn't get some warranty help at only a year and a half old.

LIMITED WARRANTY (effective 04/01/09) Hayward/Goldline warrants its Pro Logic and
E-Command pool automation products as well as its Aqua Rite, Aqua Rite Pro, Aqua Plus and
SwimPure chlorination products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship, under
normal use and service, for a period of three (3) years. Hayward/Goldline also warrants its
Aqua Trol chlorination products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship, under
normal use and service for a period of one (1) year.
These warranties are applicable from the
initial date of installation on private residential swimming pools in the US and Canada.

UGH, that doesnt look good. :(

Thanks for the quick responses. Have sent an email to tech support and also will call today and see where that goes. Till then I've kept the pump circulating, added some chlorine I had, pool perfect w/phos free, & kept an eye on all my other levels.

Hi,
I went out today to winterize my pool and I have the EXACT same issue as you described.
I really could not believe it, but I also went through the same steps you did as well.
Thank god its the end of the year, but I'm still worried sick.
How did you make out?
Your time and effort to post a response is really appreciated. Thank you
Doug Kaye

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.