Is clorox harmful to the liner?

johno

Jul 13, 2009
I have a question about the closing of my pool, I used to spend $125 on a pool closing kit at a local pool supply and every spring when I took the cover off, it was a green swampy mess.

One of my friends laughed when I was complaining about spending that kind of money and told me he uses clorox bleach, and nothing else, it costs him a total of like $20 and every spring, when he opens his pool, it may not be crystal clear, but it certainly does not look like a swamp.

I knew I was in for a liner replacement this year, so I figured I would give it a shot and he was right, not crystal clear, but certainly could see the bottom, and was amazed.

My question is how harmful is clorox to the liner? Since I did get a new liner this spring, not sure if I want to chance fading it, or ruining it??

Chlorox is not any more harmful than any other chlorine you put into the pool. Powdered chlorine can damage liners if it is not completely mixed into the water and the granules are allowed to sit on the bottom of the pool. As long as it is used correctly, liquid chlorine will not damage the liner. UseThe Pool Calculator or CYA/Chlorine Chart to determine how much bleach to use. Be sure to pour the bleach slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Let the pump run at least an hour after adding any chemicals, and everything should be fine.

What they said.

Chlorox is nothing different than the liquid chlorine they sell at the pool store.. only difference is that the chlorox is a more dilute form.

Welcome to the forums by the way! Have a look around and I encourage you to read pool school. If you adopt the way of pool care most of us use here you will be glad you did, you will save yourself some money and headaches every season, and you will never look back!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.